Monday, January 10, 2011

Fan Fiction!

Video games aren't the only old hobby I'd like to get back into.


In high school and college, I was a rather prolific fan fiction author, as I'm sure I've made clear in the past. In fact, I think it may be part of the reason I'm not doing the kind of “more professional” job I went to college for.

But it's a front I've been relatively quiet on for several years now, and I'm seriously considering getting back into it. There are a few reasons why, but a few rise to the top.

One of the bigger ones is the whole Masterpiece Fanfic Theater thing I wrote about just after Thanksgiving. I'm still not sure why I'd want to be featured on that particular show. I find it hard to believe that my need for attention is that high, but it may very well be.

I'm going to couple the next two reasons because they actually go together very well. The recent end of the Bucky O'Hare fan series made me realize that there have been all too many ideas that I've just let pass. I've done so for two big reasons: other things have had to take priority, and I've been operating under a somewhat unusual presumption that writing fan fiction at this point in life will make me look unprofessional somehow. While the first will always be true, as I'm a working man in his thirties who has quite a few big adult things I've gotta take care of before I get down to fun stuff like fan fiction, I can't say as to why I'd look unprofessional for having fiction writing as a hobby, even if it is in a universe created by people who do it for a living.

So, with that in mind, I think I'll formally announce that I've got something of a followup story to the title mentioned above. Keep in mind, of course, that it won't come as quickly or as regularly as my more standard fare because of the reasons mentioned above, and also because fiction and non-fiction are entirely different beasts, making fiction a little more difficult to write. Add to that the fact that I won't be able to do working drafts of the story while I'm at my day job because one of the central characters, as I have him planned, is something of a dirty old man, which I won't be able to write while I'm in uniform at work

Before I officially wrap this post up, I'd like to ask something of you, dear readers. To set this up, my plan at the moment is that I'm going to do this story in chapters or sections and post them both here and to my FanFiction.net account so that I can have a collected volume as well as exposure to readers that I might not otherwise have. So, what I'm asking of those who read this is if that sounds like a decent plan or if you'd prefer just one or the other. As I've said before, any and all input would be appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. It's your choice...I no longer frequent fanfiction.net... just me.
    I prefer scribd.com and it is a professional site, you can disable certain functions too, and (C) protect your creative stuff. JMO
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the hint! I'll look into it. Sounds like a good place to post things that I'm not quite so iffy about as fan fiction.

    ReplyDelete