Tuesday, July 12, 2011

ZFL Notes: No Real Defense

Here's a little something based on the July 8, 2011, ZipperFish Live show.

So, recently, the host of ZipperFish Live was complaining about how circumstances had him eating a lot of meals from burger joints over the course of a week or so and it was having a negative impact on his health. I didn't say anything then for the same reason I won't say much now: although I do agree with a lot of what he was saying, I also earn my living to sell the stuff.

On the one hand, yeah, he's right. Most of the stuff I get paid to make and sell isn't especially great for people, especially in large quantities. Trust me, I know this firsthand. That's not just from a lifetime of eating too much of it, but also from quite a lot of time spent with my head over it as it cooks. I'm sure it's at least part of the reason why I'm having so much trouble getting over the cold I've had lately.

On the other, at least in part to protect my job, I gotta say that there are indeed choices beyond burgers and fried foods on the menu, after all. Quite a few places have been offering salads of one kind or another for years. A growing trend is offering more fruit options as well. Wendy's, the company I work for, also offers potatoes and chili.

So, yeah, while the primary product lines that most quick-serve joints offer aren't especially healthy for anyone involved with them, there are other choices on the menu, too, so it comes down to what the person using these places chooses to buy.

The options are available. It's up to the consumer to make the choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment