Monday, December 8, 2014

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy VI (Super Nintendo, Square, 1994): Issue #044: Dragons 'N Stuff

I think I already got the Storm Dragon when I got Cyan back. I kind of remember saying that it was easy compared to what I had remembered.

Whichever one it was I got before, though, when I beat the Ice Dragon in Narshe, the counter said six dragons left. This one wasn't particularly difficult this time, either. I'd run into it by mistake before when going after Mog and Umaro before and wound up getting my ass kicked for my trouble. This time, though, just wailing away on it and spamming fire spells with Cyan, Terra, Strago and Gau in the party was not a problem.

Something I think I'll do between searching out the Eight Dragons and Doom Gaze is try to build up Gau's Rage list and Strago's Lores on the Veld. It's pretty much grinding without experience in the mix, which means that as long as the party has Espers they can learn spells from equipped, they'll be learning those along the way. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the monsters travel through the Veld in waves. The monsters tend to come and go in groups from various parts of the game. This means that if I'm running into enemy parties made up of monsters from the beginning of the game, it's going to be like that for awhile, and then when it shifts into parties of more recent monsters, it'll be that way for awhile, too. The cycle or pattern continues regardless of if you're there or not. So, I'll go to the Veld between dragons and grind there for awhile, just to see what's available before going to look for other, more plot-related things to do.

The Dirt Dragon is in the Opera House southeast of Jidoor. There's a dude who meets you at the door and says to talk to the Impresario, who's up in the balcony. He's up there panicking like when Ultros interrupted the show back when we were getting Setzer the first time. This time, though, he says there's a dragon that's taken up residence on the stage and the show can't go on until it's removed. The Dirt Dragon's weak against water-based attacks, which makes Strago's Aqua Rake lore come in handy. Cyan's higher-level Bushido skills work well, too. Having Float spells on the party comes in handy as well, in part because every so often, this boss will use a turn to use something called 50G to take it off. As long as whoever else you've got in the party can use ice magic, this shouldn't be too hard a fight at this point in the game.

Now, I will confess that I had to look up the locations of the remaining five dragons in order to beat them. I know I've done it before, but it's been a long time now, so I hope it's forgivable. But before I did that, I went to the auction house in Jidoor and got the Golem and ZoneSeek espers.

Also before I looked up the other five dragons, I looked around in a few places. A funny thing happened on the way. I wound up getting more Lores for Strago that way than I did on the Veld like I thought I would.

One of the five, the White Dragon, was in the Fanatics' Tower, which I think I may have called the Magic Tower before. That means that fighting the White Dragon's gotta be a magic-only sort of thing, which is fine by me. I've always been a fan of magic. All things considered, though, the White Dragon is kind of a pussy. He's susceptible to all sorts of the magic we've got now, including Mute and Quake. It also kind of helps that I've leveled up a bit since last time I was here, so kicking its ass was a lot easier than I'd expected, almost like murdering it. I guess that makes it fitting that I'd be watching an episode of classic Dragnet called The Hammer as I write this section.

At this point, I'm down to four dragons. My research tells me that two are in the final tower, fought by two of the three parties that go through there, so I'll probably be facing them down as I go through that. The remaining two are in places that are tricky to get to. One's in the Phoenix Cave, and the other's in the Ancient Castle, and I always seem to have trouble getting through both. Another bit of trouble is finding Doom Gaze. The same bit of research says that intentionally trying to find Doom Gaze tends to be a futile thing, so I think I'll just kind of give up on that unless I just happen to find it somehow.

With all that in mind, I think I'll wrap this issue up here and pick up next time, once I've decided what I'm going to do. I'd like to get all eight dragons and Doom Gaze for a change, since it's been awhile since I've done that, but my console is acting funny again, so there's half a chance I'll just go ahead and get on with finishing the game instead. No matter what I decide, I'll say what it is at the start of the next issue. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment