Friday, July 8, 2016

TEXT PLAY Second Run: Final Fantasy 4 (SNES, 1991): Issue #015: Slightly Out Of Order

I'm going to be doing things a little differently for awhile here.

I left off last time at the point in the story where I'm supposed to go to the Sealed Cave to get the last crystal and have Kain run off it to start the final act of the game. Normally, that's exactly how I'd do it, but this time around, I think I'm going to get the summons for Asura and Leviathan first, and maybe do the first part of the Sylph cave, too. And before I finish this, I just may do a little more screwing around in the bottom of the Tower of Bab-Il, just for the hell of it.

So, once Cid made the new airship, called the Falcon, so it could fly over the magma in the Underground, I went to the cave to the Land of Summoned Monsters. Even though my levels do seem a little high relative to where I am in the game, I was still getting my ass handed to me by some of the monsters. The worst offenders were the first couple Caller monsters that called Clappers on the party and the parties of Warriors and Fiends. I got through alright, though, and even managed to get Edge equipped with two of the Ninja swords that there's only one of to be found in the game. And given how much trouble I had with the Warriors in random encounters, I had relatively no trouble with the ones guarding the Defense sword near the end of the cave. I think I may use it in the fight against the king and queen summoned monsters when I get to that.

But since it was late when I got to the Village of Summoned Monsters, I just stayed at the Inn and saved at the save point down there with the intent to pick up again later.

The fights with Asura and Leviathan weren't particularly hard, or at least not as hard as I was expecting it to be since I was doing this out of my usual order. It was a little more difficult since I had weapons from earlier in the game than I usually had, but these fights seemed like they were more endurance tests than anything. I know both bosses have set amounts of health to deplete, too, but I think there's a bit of a time factor to this as well.

There's some stuff I forgot to get in the Village, but I was in a rush to get on with things and had already taken the quick-escape tile on the very lowest floor of the place before I realized I'd left stuff. With that in mind, I healed up a bit and started the Sylph Cave. The good news there is that there's a save point right near the beginning, so that's where I left off for the third session of this entry.

The third session in this was pretty much going into the Sylph Cave to have a look at Yang. That's really about all we can do there for now. There's some equipment to be had there, but it's not quite as good as what I got out of the Land of Summoned Monsters. I only got about half of what's there this time around, but that's OK, since I'll have to come back anyway once I've seen Yang's Wife if I want to get the related summon.

From there, I did do a little running around in the Tower of Bab-Il, but wasn't really getting much for it. I think I'll just head back down and out of the tower from where I saved and just move on with the plot starting next issue.


Until then, see you around, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment