Thursday, August 27, 2020

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #059: Fixed, Kinda


This is something of a tie in to a Final Fantasy This Morning post I made a couple weeks ago.

The quick sum-up of that post is that I was going to try to get something like this done and wound up having a little trouble making it happen on account of being unable to get out of the town of Daguerro, or at least so I thought. I did get that fixed, eventually, though not quite in the way I had thought I would. I still have the repair kit thing I mentioned before, but I couldn't find the cleanig portion of that, so I went with a kleenex and some eyeglass cleaner. I've given it a bit of thought, and while it might have been the quick cleaning I gave it, it could just be that I wasn't giving things enough time before, or that I just needed to adjust the disk in the console. There are a few things this could be the result of, and I'm not sure I want to commit to any one of them.

One of the other things it could be is that there was another area in town I came across that I hadn't explored yet. There's a balcony in the library that I had thought was just background, but it turns out there's actually a way to get to it. There's a dude looking for a specific title in the stacks, and the party can find it on the other side of the room. When we go tell him where the book he wants is, we find a ladder that goes to the balcony I was mentioning. Characterwise, the NPC that stood out to me was a book lover who said they liked everything about old books: the authors, the publishers, and even the readers. Kind of like someone I know in real life, I suspect.

There were also a couple curative items down stairs at either end of this thing. I had thought the stairs would go farther than they did. One other thing I've noticed in actually quite a few places as I've played through this game is that there are places where it's hard to navigate due to picture resolution issues. Granted, I'm sure some of this is because the technology behind these things has changed by an absolutely amazing amount in the last twenty years. For as well as this game has aged in that department, I somehow doubt it was much easier to get around some of these places even back in the day, when I was playing on a CRT that was probably more or less the same size as the monitor I'm using to write this on.

Eventually, I did manage to get back out to the world map, though, and I was even smart enough to remember to save, too. I might have spent a little more time trying to grind for stuff than I did, because I still have a few party members that need levels and skills, and my gold's a little low on account of all the stocking up I did. I kind of had to stop sooner than I had wanted on account of my bad habit of starting on this stuff later than I should, and I kept running into monsters called Grand Dragons, that can pretty much stomp the party to death at will. After getting wiped out by one and running away from at least two others, I decided it was time to call it a night and get this ready to go. Hopefully I'll actually be able to do something worthwhile here next time. Untill then, though, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment