Friday, April 16, 2021

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #067: The Four Shrines

Back at this, finally. Hadn't meant to let it sit as long as I have.


There are about a million things I could say about why I've been so hesitant to get on with this part of the game. The good news is that some of them are true and a few of them are even good. The nutshell of it is that between being in entirely new territory for me in regards to this game and putting far too much time into other games, this kind of fell by the wayside.


This part of the game is new to me because I don't think I made it much past the Gulug Volcano the last time I got even close to finishing it. As a result, the four elemental shrines we deal with here were new to me, far as I remember. I guess it's a good thing we only had the one boss fight against the Earth Guardian with Zidane and Quina. It was harder than it looked in the YouTube videos I watched of it recently. I probably wouldn't have had such an easy time of it with the Air, Water, and Fire Guardians. It really shouldn't have come as much of a surprise as it did that there was only the one fight, seeing as that the parties that got sent into the shrines were autoselected beforehand. I think I might have mentioned that last time I did much with the plot. As I mentioned, Zidane and Quina went after the Earth Guardian and had a fight, from which Zidane stole something called the Avenger, and Quina got the Earth Shaker blue magic from eating the boss. Eiko and Dagger went to the water shrine; Vivi and Steiner did the air one; and Amarant and Freya got fire.


For as glad as I am that I didn't have to fight all four of the guardians, for reasons including the lateness of the hour at which I'm doing this, I'm also kind of disappointed, too. Having those fights would have made things more interesting, but I think I can live without them, too. I've already spent about 65 hours on this game, which is just about what it took me to finish Final Fantasy 6, which is the last game in the series I've only done one run of here.


It was at least nice to see the original Elemental Shrines and their related guardians from the very first Final Fantasy game, even if we didn't get fights or even puzzles in three of them. It's a disappointment I can live with, though, for the reasons I've already mentioned.


From here, it's off to the Shimmering Island, which may also lead to a disk change, but that'll have to wait until I can get started at a better time than I have been of late. I suspect the next part would take as long as I was thinking this one would. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

1 comment:

  1. Hope to see you on your AC island tomorrow night, Jesse.

    ReplyDelete