Monday, June 28, 2021

Barely Remembered: Picture Pages with Bill Cosby

Not sure what got me to thinking abour this, but here I am and there you are, I guess...


I've been meaning to get back to some of this older kind of material I used to do before Channel Awesome stopped being the second word in their name. Things really haven't gone as planned in that regard.


Anyway, the thing that sparked this is that I had the theme song for this old somewhat educational show called Picture Pages. The version I remember was from the early 1980s and was hosted by Bill Cosby well before the world at large found out what he was into off camera. I think they may have tried to remake this thing a time or two over the years, but I'm not sure how it did, if it did.


The concept was simple enough. There was a televised portion that aired on PBS, I think, either on Saturdays or early weekday mornings, if not both, and a magazine sort of thing that parents could subscibe to for little ones like me, at least, to use to play along with. About the only specific thing I remember is the noise they had not-yet-creepy Bill's pen make when he wrote with it. The only other detail that comes to mind is that the pen's name was Ichabod Marker.


I know there's really not much to this, but like I said at the top of this, I'm not sure what made me think of this when I did. It's something I really haven't thoght much about in the better part of forty years now, but here we are.


Working on this got me to thinking a little bit about Captain Kangaroo, as well. I could swear I've done something about that, but I've done so much along those lines over the years that I can't remember it all. Worse yet, a lot of it has been lost over time, which means that I might not be able to find it even if I did do it. Either way, see you soon, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment