Wednesday, November 10, 2021

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #018: Knowing When To Call It Quits

This was going to be one last push to finish the game, and in a way, I guess it is that.


It's been a good three months since I made a post in my Final Fantasy 4 run here, and since then, I've been making attempts at moving forward with the game, with only marginal success. There's a boss called Plague guarding Kain's ultimate weapon that casts a spell called Doom on the entire party. This gives a count of ten until the party dies. As I'm sure I've mentioned in past playthroughs, this fight is a difficult one even in the SNES version I'm more familiar with, but due to the speed at which things happen in this game and that the game itself seems to slow down when there's lots going on made it almost impossible. I did eventually get through it with a hint I found in the walkthrough on Caves of Narshe.


After that, there's getting the last of Edge's swords, too. That involves a fight with a boss called Ogopogo. I made a few attempts at this fight as well, intending to use the cloning trick on it so I could have two to fight the final boss, Zeromus, with. Had I succeeded, I might have continued the game to the end, but considering that I could not, I came to the conclusion that I should just wrap this run up and move on to other things, both gaming and otherwise.


Truth be told, it's not just the game itself that was giving me stress. As I've said in other posts, I've had a lot of stressful things going on in real life lately, too. Some have been resolved; others, not so much yet. Either way, this will be one less thing to worry about, giving me a little time to recover. Perhaps one day, when I've recovered more from the goings on of the last few months, I'll come back and finish this properly.


For now, though, I'm going to say goodbye to Final Fantasy 4. Hopefully, it'll only be temporary. This is, after all, my favorite video game, and I'd kind of like to see the ending as presented in this version, after having seen so much of the rest in this light.


I also have the other two Final Fantasy games I'm working on to finish, as well. I'm actually pretty close to getting done with 9, as well, and now that I'm in a somewhat better place to do that again, I might actually get that done in something like a timely manner now. There's also Final Fantasy 2 that I'm about halfway or 2/3s of the way throgh there, too. Hopefully, I'll be getting on with that as well.


I've got a few ideas as to where to go from here, of course, but that'll have to wait for awhile. I've still got too much else on my plate right now. I really need to finish at least one of the other two games I've still got going before I get to anything else.


With that, I appreciate everyone who's been reading this having patience with me in getting this done. I'd like to think I'll get on with the other games, and some of the other stuff I've got planned as well, in a timely manner.


See you soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment