Monday, February 28, 2022

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #070: Story Time With Garland

I did a little checking of my files when I started writing this part, and it looks like I've only managed to get one of these things out every three months or so over the last year.


As I was saying in this recent post, I'm hoping to pick up the pace a little bit with these things, and if nothing else, get this game in particular finished at long last. I've got thoughts and ideas for the other stuff I do around her, but I'm going to save that for a Final Fantasy This Morning post I'm really hoping to have up here before too terribly long.


As to the game itself, this session was mostly exopsition and storyline stuff. As I was trying to find my way to where I was supposed to be to advance it all, I accidentally found my way out of town and wound up getting my ass kicked because Zidane was the only active party member and the monsters in the random battles here can take him no problem.


Turns out, there's a staircase that goes to a lower level room with tubes and stuff in it where the Mystery Girl from before explains to Zidane that he's one of the people we've seen running around Terra, and that they're all called Genomes, artificial constructs created by that Garland guy we've been seeing here and there for quite awhile. They're all waiting for souls from Gaia because Garland intends to merge the two worlds so that the people of Terra can live again.


Zidane says he doesn't understand, and wants to know why he's different from the other Genomes and why he grew up on Gaia. The mystery girl says he needs to go see Garland for those answers and takes him to a place where he can do just that.


Where they go is a teleport pad that goes to a castle called Pandemonium, which kind of ties this game to the 8-bit version of Final Fantasy II in the same way Garland ties in the original game in the series. Garland explains that both Zidane and Kuja are Genomes that somehow were given their own souls by Terra, and that Garland decided to take advantage of that by sending them to Gaia as angels of death to stir up chaos and hasten the transfer of souls between the two worlds by causing wars.


As it happens, Zidane was the stronger of the two between him and Kuja, which made Kuja crazy with jealousy, so Kuja pretty much left Zidane to his fate when he showed up, knowing that Zidane would replace him.


Upon hearing all this, Zidane decides that Garland was part right, and that he is an angel of death, only his target is Garland, because he considers Gaia his home and all the people he came to know and love there are his friends and family. Garland, naturally, won't have that, so he tries to rip Zidane's soul out. Although it does have a decidedly negative impact on Zidane, the rest of the party manages to snap him out of it relatively quickly; almost too quickly, from how it looks for now. Once the party's regrouped and a new team is decided upon, it's time to go after Garland.


Since there's a handy moogle here, this is where I'll stop for now. Hopefully, it won't take another three months to get the next part of this up. Before I wrap this up, though, some thoughts and an explanation that I'm fairly sure I've given a time or two in the various Text Plays I've done.


Essentially, what goes into these things are my thoughts, impressions and understandings of what's going on in whatever game I'm writing about. It's all subjective, and therefore, I almost certainly get things wrong along the way.


This is especially true of this game, over the last year or so, if not longer. Between the lateness of the hour at which I do these things and the hella long gaps between sessions, I'm almost certainly not following the story as well as I probably should be. I'll probably say more about this in the FFTM post I mentioned at the top of the post. Hopefully, that won't be too far out.


Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment