Friday, June 3, 2022

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #072: Nearly Missed Goals

At first, I was going to make this into a multi-session entry, but then I figured I may as well just get it up so I could get back to doing it more regularly again.


Plus, if I do this right, I think I have a decent strategy for when I get serious about the boss fight, which I'm thinking will be the next one of these I do..


See, for most of the dungeon I've been in for the last couple entries, my party has been Zidane, Dagger, Amarant and Quina because Amarant, especially, needed levels. Turns out that's not such a good thing when going up against Garland and his Silver Dragon. The good news is that after my first attempt with that party, I switched Amarant and Quina out with Steiner and Eiko because Steiner was always meant as something of a tank and Eiko, somehow, has better healing magic than Dagger. Gotta figure out how to get Curaga for Dagger, too, so both my white mages can use it. Plus Steiner's limit break made it possible to at least get past the Silver Dragon, anyway. It's just too bad that the fight against Garland starts pretty much as soon as the dragon goes down, which means there's no chance to save.


That's probably a good thing, though, because before the fight starts, Garland continues on his little rant about how life and death are intertwined and he's waiting on there to no longer be any life or death on either Gaia or Terra so that he could send the people of Terra to Gaia, or however that's supposed to go. I'll probably be able to do a better job of getting that down, and having a workable strategy to actually get through both parts of this fight when I'm not at the very tail end of my day.


The one good thing I did manage to get saved was retrieving the Battle Boots accessory from what is apparently the last chest in this dungeon. I should probably be smart enough to get that on Zidane for the stat boosts he'll get from finally having one of those again. Key to remembering that, of course, is not waiting another month and a half to get to it again. I might also have a look at that Caves of Narshe site again, just to see what they recommend for a party, too, in case my own plan doesn't work out so well. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment