Thursday, December 1, 2022

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #076: MiSTing, Part Two

As I think I mentioned previously, this will cover several sessions.


The first one of these was split because I did it while I was fixing some supper the night I did it. In part one, I did some grinding in the Lindblum area and got a few levels and some abilities. I wasn't paying as close attention to the game as I probably should have been, plus I had a couple other things on my mind at the time.


One of those was that I might have kinda screwed myself with regards to actually finishing the game. We'll see how all that plays out when I get there, but there's a few things I want to try first, so I may as well get on with that.


The first thing I wanted to do was go around to see what I could actually get at the various synth shops at this point in the game. Depending on how that goes, I may just decide to get on with finishing the game, but that might still take a session or two to get there. I got started after the meal I had before writing this bit.


The second bit of playing I did for the second session took me through Burmecia, Cleyra and the Black Mage Village. Burmecia's been abandoned except for the random encounters since the end of the first disk, if memory serves, though I'd kind of forgotten that until I'd gone in and done some running around. I'd also forgotten that Cleyra got nuked by either the queen or Kuja around the same time. Both are major plot points, but I've been at this for long enough, and sporadically enough the last couple years, that I'd forgotten. The Black Mage Village is still going, though, because that's where we took the Genomes when we first started the disk.


The synth shop there let me make a few things I don't think I could have at Lindblum, but now that I think about it, I can't remember if I bothered to look while I was at Lindblum. For now, I got a new bit of armor for Zidane and a new weapon that can be used by Eiko and Dagger. Or at least that's how I remember it. I could have gotten a new weapon for Zidane, too, but I have one of the things I need for that equipped on him and I think I might have been dumb enough to sell the other at some point, assuming I ever had it in the first place, on account of my having missed plenty along the way. Kinda why I was saying I think I might have screwed myself above. But like I also said before, we'll see how badly I managed that soon enough, I hope. But that was enough for the first night of this.


A few things I did the following session included getting the Eye 4 Eye skill for Amarant and the Brave Armor for him from the synth shop in the Black Mage Village. From there, I went back to Lindblum to see what they had in the regular weapons shop and the synth shop as well. The former didn't have anything I needed, from what I could tell, while the latter had some different stuff that I was pretty sure I already had and made good use of.


From here, I think I'm going to look up where some of the last stuff I need to get is, and what kind of in-game resources I need to get it all sorted. That's going to mean at least one more post with this subtitle, and then move on to the end of the game.


Before I get on to that, though, I'm going to do a Final Fantasy Tonight post where I get a little more into my thinking on all this.


Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment