Tuesday, January 3, 2023

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #078: Three Quarters To Excalibur

I guess one good thing did come from being snowed in the day I did this.


Since I couldn't get to my day job on account of a major snow storm dropping a foot of snow on my area the day I wrote this, I decided that this would be a good day to do a little griding in this game, and maybe make a little progress on something I've wanted to get done for far too long as it is.


Grinding for what I needed to grind for wasn't so bad because I'd managed to find a decent spot to do it near Madain Sari. I'd decided that I'd run around until I'd gotten to around 60 to 70000 gold to blow at the Auction House in Treno. It took me about a half hour to do that, while gaining some badly-needed levels for Amarant, Quina and Dagger along the way.


When I went back to Treno, I headed straight fo the Auction House. The first three items they had up for bids, some Fairy Earrings, Une's Mirror, and the Griffon's Heart, all went for less than 10000 gold each. Considering that two of those were key items for the Excalibur side quest, I'd say I got a good deal on them. The additional set of Fairy Earrings might come in handy for the end of the game, even if I don't have anybody that can still learn anything from them.


The fourth item was the Dark Matter accessory, which teaches Dagger the Odin summon. This cost in the area of 16000 gold, but it was worth it because Odin is one of the better summos in most of the previous games in the series I've played that have it. After I get that one, I think I'll only have one or two left if I want to get all of Dagger's summons. But that's like I keep saying, though. Especially after all these years of trying to finish this game, I'm not sure I'll want to go to the trouble of doing that. This was never meant to be a 100% run of the game, even when I was still on track to finish it in a reasonable amount of time.


Now, I'm sure some readers have noticed that the title suggests that I've got three of the four items I need to get in order to unlock the one I need to trade for Excalibur, but I've only talked about two of them. That's because at some point, I got Doga's Artifact as well. I can't remember when, how much I paid for it, or if I even mentioned having gotten it. That's kind of on me, though. One of the problems of only doing this as sporadically as I do any more.


One other thing to note is that I did spend a little time screwing around with the card tournament in Treno before I went to get the gold I needed for the round of auction house fun. Never was very good at it, and I'm not sure how important any of that card game stuff is outside the one time it factors into the plot. Kind of why I haven't been messing around with it much.


But anyway, I'm going to wrap this up for now. An hour or so at a time of this is enough, even if I don't do this as often as I'd like any more. Before I do, though, I'm going to mention my first post of the year on my way out. Hopefully, I'll be able to do this more regularly again, as I was saying in the post I linked to.


Anyway, until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment