Monday, June 5, 2023

Picture Post: Old Fishing Tackle Boxes, Part Two: Plugs, Maybe?

I'm not sure what this type of lure is actually called, simply because I don't remember using them much, if at all.


I do know that this will probably be the middle of three posts, at least for now, simply because this will be long enough with just the lures and I still have some other interesting stuff to show before I wrap the series up, at least temporarily. What I'll be going over here came mostly from two of these three boxes:



The red one on the left was the equipment my dad used the couple times he went paddlefishing. There at least used to be a special season for paddlefish in my state that participants needed a special tag for and could only do in one very specific stretch of the Missouri River, just below Gavins Point Dam, if memory serves. It's been a good ten years ago at this point, if not longer by now.


Most of what we'll be looking at here comes from the blue box I've got open and the darker one behind it, I believe. As I was saying before the jump, most of these got hardly any use, if they got used at all, as many were still in their boxes, and some were even still sealed. Or at least, relatively sealed, considering that all this stuff is at least 30 years old by now. I think I'll start with the one on the purple card there:



I think things like this were meant mostly for walleyes and northerns, though moreso the latter than the former. While those kinds of fish are good to eat, they have a lot of tiny bones in them, which makes cleaning them more work than either my dad or I were up for most of the time, especially since it's something I never really got the hang of.


This next one is one that I'm going to make a couple jokes about, even though I probably shouldn't:



Aside from the fish mentioned above, two things come to mind when I see the name of that one: a cartoon character and a YouTuber. Probably wouldn't be too smart to try using it on either of them. I think this one might still have been sealed in the package, but the card was trimmed to fit in a tackle box at some point.


I think a fair number of these next ones got at least a little use, because a lot of them were actually loose:




These next ones were still in their boxes, but the boxes were kinda dinged up:



I'm thinking some of this stuff is also fairly vintage stuff, because this bad boy looks like it's from the 1950s:



I'm going to wrap up with this picture of the two big boxes of stuff we have:



We'll be looking at some of the odds and ends I found in the blueish one on the bottom next time. I still want to go through the orange or amber one on top. I'm hoping I'll be up to that on my next day off. There might be a fourth one of these coming after that, depending on what I find in there. That's for the future, though.


Until next time, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment