Tuesday, January 22, 2013

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #22: Back To The Future, Part Two


This is pretty much going to be the same run as with my main party, only with the monks instead.

Part of what took me so long to get to this part was that I needed to level grind a bit before I went into the final area. Most of the rest is that I was scared that this would be harder than it turned out to be.

Otherwise, yeah, it was pretty much the same battles along the same routes as it was with my main party. The regular monsters were still harder than the second battles with the fiends.

Chaos went down in the round and a half the Final Fantasy Wiki said he was likely to when I was looking it up while I was getting ready for all of this. The funny thing here was that I was kind of expecting Chaos to at least do some special attacks this time like he did last time, and he didn't.

The only really difficult part to this was getting through without having any direct magic available. All I had was items to use. I'm glad I was doing this on the Origins version where there was an Easy mode. I don't think I'd have been able to pull it off on Normal Mode. I ran out of potions quite literally just before I went into fight Chaos. I got kind of lucky because I had exactly the HP to get through with all my guys still alive.

The point of my doing it like this was essentially twofold: to have a file where I could actually beat the game if I couldn't with my main party, and to see if I could do it like this. It turns out I got through to the end with my main party, so I just figured that since I'd gone to all the time and trouble to get the all-monk party this far, I may as well. And it turns out that yeah, I could do it. Granted, it wasn't easy, but I did manage it. There were things that the magic I didn't have could have been handy for, but hey, I did it, and that's the important thing.

But I'm just blabbering on now. All I've got left to say here is that this way took me about three hours less than it did with my main party. In this case, that was 13 hours as opposed to 16 with the main party. The levels were about the same, too. I'm not sure if using magic added the extra three hours, but I'm not sure it really matters.

The game ends the same way regardless of party makeup, but that's mostly due to the limits of the Famicom/NES console and cartridge system that Final Fantasy came out for back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Beyond that, I think I'd best leave everything else for the epilog. See you soon with that, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment