Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Floppies Are Irrelevant Now

OK, much as I suspected, that old floppy disk I found in my underwear drawer didn't have anything of value on it.

The only thing on it was one file that dealt with an issue that's been over and done with for a good five years now, so there's really no further point in keeping that disk or the file. There's value to posting the file here, and since that particular method of saving information is badly out of date now, I'll just toss the disk.

But it did get me to thinking about the laptop I used to check it out on. I'll probably hold onto that for another year, since that's how much longer my antivirus on there is good for, but beyond that, I don't know. In the end, I hardly ever use any of the programs on that machine, but that's in part to how old and slow that particular unit is compared even to my desktop PC, which is itself several years old now.

And it's not that I really need a full-on laptop anyway. Considering what I'd use it for, I could probably get by with a tablet or what they call a hybrid. So I guess I'll be half-assed looking into that over the course of the next year or so.

Until then, in the highly unlikely event I find another few floppies to work with, I'll talk about those if they're worthwhile. I'll also probably say something if and when I finally decide to replace my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment