Tuesday, July 2, 2013

TEXT PLAY: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Taito, SNES 1993): Issue #16: How Many Ranqs?

I hate invisible mazes.

This is why I eventually quit playing Breath of Fire when I tried to do the Text Play of it a couple years back now. There was a maze where the walls would vanish from time to time but still be barriers, and I kept getting blocked. Now this game wants me to do one as well.

I know it's possible to get through these things. In both cases I know I'd done it before, simply because I'd come closer to finishing these games than this. Of course, at the time, time and patience were things I seemed to have in greater abundance than I seem to now. It's almost like I'm starting to take more and more after my dad the older I get, and that's kind of a scary thought.

At any rate, I suppose I should talk about what's going on in the game right now. All the men in the town of Ranqs have gone to work on a mountain tunnel to the village of Odel. Even the town's priest is there for some reason. They managed to finish the tunnel, but as luck would have it, something came in and put an invisible maze in the tunnel, and now nobody knows how to get through or if they can get back to Ranqs even if they do.

So loath as I am to do it, I had to look at a strategy guide to get through. I had one that I'd downloaded last time I needed a little help, but somehow that file got corrupted, so I got a new one, from GameFAQs this time. The route through the invisible maze is not so hard once I found out what it was: up one step, right two, up one, right two, up 4, left 3, down 1, left 2, down 1, left 2, up 2, left 1, up 1, right 2, up 1.

The worst part here is that after I got through that, I still got lost on the way to Odel, in spite of having a piece of paper right in front of me, telling me how to get there. I went southeast instead of southwest and found Lyden first, which meant a trip to the west to fix that.

Along the way, I got most of the party killed, but that's because I'm a moron when it comes to keeping everybody healed in situations like this. Since I had managed to keep Lufia alive and had a decent supply of Smoke Balls, I did manage to get away from the battles I came to after that.

There's a cave entrance that leads into Professor Shaia's base and connects at least two of his labs with Odel Castle. God only knows if this is what I was supposed to find, but I've at least made it to Odel now. Given the luck I've had so far, this seems like a good place to stop after reviving my party, so that's what I'll do here, I think. I'll see you next time, in Odel Lake.

Stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment