Tuesday, July 16, 2013

TEXT PLAY: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Taito, SNES 1993): Issue #18: Bridge Duty

This is going to be a long one, folks. I guess I called it last time.

Of course, it doesn't help that I've been putting it off for too long. Hell, I'd even forgotten which direction west generally is in these games. It would be left.

One thing that trying to get through this part of the game has reminded me of is why I put this game aside for so many years after having come so close to beating it when I was in college. Game designers, especially back then, at leased used to have a bad way of thinking that “challenge” was a synonym for “cheap-ass bullshit”. It's something I might have to do a regular blog post about later, but in a nutshell, I do like my games to be a little challenging, like this one can be at times. What I don't like is when it seems to make things needlessly difficult, like it seems to be doing right now.

At any rate, the cave we're looking for actually has four entrances. There's a group of three that are easy to get to, and one that's farther west than the others, on the far side of some mountains. The one we're looking for here is on the far side of those mountains. The way around them is actually by going a fair ways to the south and west. It took me quite awhile to remember that, which is part of why it took me so long to get this part up. Once I did get it figured out, things started going relatively smoothly. The downside is that I went through a lot of curative and escape items in the process, which is bad because there's no items shop, at least that I can find, in Odel, but I'll have to look again.

Back at the castle, we tell Piron the Engineer about the bridge. Yes, the damn thing is broken, just like everybody we, and presumably Piron as well, has talked to about it has said. So Piron and his buddy go running off to fix it. Before they do, of course, they tell the party that they need to come be spotters for them as they fix the bridge. When we caught up with them by the bridge, Piron told us to go up on a cliff and watch. Turns out, that cliff is easiest to reach by way of the middle of the three cave entrances on the other side of the mountains. Even though I've got Jerin's Escape magic to help with that, since it puts us right back at that one, the whole thing still kind of felt like one of the more memorable Mr. Popo scenes from Team Four Star's Dragonball Z Abridged Parody.

The good news is that Piron and his buddy work quick. But after all the attempts and failures it took me to get that far, it's time to quit for awhile. Hopefully, I'll get back to this before it's been as long since the last issue. I can already tell how it's going to go, though.

Anyway, see you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment