Tuesday, October 22, 2013

TEXT PLAY: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Taito, SNES 1993): Issue #28: Kingdom Herats

When did Disney and Square start the Kingdom Hearts series, anyway?

I could look it up, but I'm a lazy ass sometimes. I'm pretty sure it was in the last ten years, though.

Anyway, the Kingdom of Herat is indeed down a river to the west of Marse. It's also surrounded by mountains, which will factor into making this just a little more difficult than it needs to be. Fortunately, I do remember where I need to go to get the thing I need to finish off this mini-quest. It's the one thing I had to look up on the Internet when I almost beat this game in college. But I'll get to that in a bit.

It's like they said in Marse, the King of Herat does have a piece of Alumina for us to use in fixing the ship so it can dive. Unfortunately, he's not going to be a nice guy and give it to us because we need it to save the world. He's busy being something of a “gourmet” and isn't satisfied with any of the things his royal chefs are making for him to eat. He's gotten so bad about it that not even things a chronic overeater like myself would never consider trying will do the trick.

There is a solution, of course. There's a special ingredient called Purple Newt that will make anything taste good that will probably solve this. It's in a cave that's technically to the east of Herat, but to get to it, we've gotta start by sailing back up the river a ways and then heading west to get around the mountains and into the valley with the cave where it is. This was the only thing I had to go looking for last time I made it this far in the game.

Really, the hike to the cave is the most difficult part of this. The cave itself isn't really all that difficult to get around once we're in. I found what I was looking for easily enough, and review of the map later said that the rest of the stuff in the cave is, at least to me, take it or leave it material. Sure, some of it would be good if I was going to use it, but there's a good chance that I may not, and it turns out my inventory is already pretty much full with essentially useless items as is, so I don't think I'll be going back for any of it unless I really think I have to.

Because we're still playing an RPG here, just getting the Purple Newt and taking it to the guy who needs it in Herat isn't enough. We've gotta take the newt to a guy in Lyden to have it processed into the Magic Flavor. The guy in Lyden isn't hard to find, either. He's in the basement of the biggest eatery in town. He'll process it for you and send you on your way back to Herat. Much easier than finding Pee-Wee's bike.

Once the royal chef in Herat has the seasoning, he makes a meal for the king and lets the party test it first. Jerin says she doesn't want any because the jackass chef fed her a slime-based dish earlier. Like I said, I think there's something wrong with the king. No wonder the rest of the country's not doing so good.

The good news, though, is that the king is finally happy with his meal and lets us into his treasure room to basically clean him out. There are one or two pieces of good equipment for the hero, what I'm hoping is the last piece of Alumina I need, and essentially a lot of other bullshit that I either won't use or have already upgraded from.

And really, now that I'm getting later in the game again, I'm finding out something else about it in addition to it's similarity to the original Final Fantasy game. You'd think this game was made five years later than it actually was, for the amount of essentially useless shit you find or win along the way. It's one of those things I've been meaning to do a piece about, if I haven't already.

Another thing I should probably address here is something I wrote about in a Video Game Memories piece I wrote and posted to That Guy With The Glasses. Like I said there, I do believe this is the original unit my brother and I bought the year it came out, so the thing's more or less twenty years old and has seen plenty of use along the way. With that in mind, it's really no surprise that there's a short or a glitch or something in it that makes it act like it's shutting off for just a fraction of a second every now and then as I play. This time, there was one interruption long enough for me to see my TV's “weak or no signal” message, if only just barely. I'm thinking it's something related to the console, because none of my other equipment seems to do it, but only time will tell. We're at a point now where it's really going to suck if I have to stop this just short of finishing the game again, but maybe it's just fate that I don't.

But anyway, from here' it's back to Shaia's lab at Platina, which I'm hoping to get to soon. See you then, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment