Monday, October 14, 2013

That Same Old Feeling Once Again

Shouldn't I be doing something right now?

No, seriously, I have that same old feeling I get again where I think I should be doing something productive, but I don't know what that something might be or where it is. It's a sense that says there's one specific thing I should be doing at a particular moment and at a specific place if I don't want something bad to happen, but won't let me figure out anything else about it.

For a little more than a year, a while back, I thought I had it figured out, and that doing just about anything, so long as it was something, was enough to keep it at bay. But over the course of the last six months or so, something happened, something changed, and I've lost my handle on that. I don't know how or why, exactly, but it really seems to have happened.

If I were to guess when the turning point was, I'd have to say that it was about the time of the big ice storm we had this spring. Granted, not the worst weather event I've ever been through. That falls to the winter of 1996-1997. I might wind up telling the whole story on that later on, but the short version is that it started out with a nasty ice storm, right about this time of year, actually, instead of in the spring, so the ice stayed around all winter. On top of that, we wound up with a good six or eight feet of snow on top of that.

Now, the good news is that we've not had anything quite like that this fall. The bad news, however, is that we've had quite a lot of snow in the western part of the state this last week or so, and just as much rain where I live. The potential is there for a repeat of what happened back in 1996. I know I can get through it if I have to, because I've been through it before, but then again, I'm made nervous by the thought of having to do it again precisely because I have been before.

Anyway, I'm hoping that doing this will make me feel better about the situation, if nothing else. Maybe the coming winter won't be so bad after all, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment