Friday, April 4, 2014

A Half-Assed Plan For Spring

So far, it seems this year has gone for me the way a lot of people say last year went for them.

I don't know if it's Murphy's Law or what the deal is, but now that we're officially into the second quarter of 2014, I look back at the first three months of the year and see a real mess. It seems like no matter what I've tried to do thus far this year, I've just not been able to get anything right, regardless of what I do or how hard I try.

There are excuses for some of it, naturally. There always are. In this case, it's mostly in respect to the amount of physical activity I've been getting. Sure, I've been more than a little lazy about it, but then again, it's not been what one might call entirely easy to get motivated and stay that way, either. The first month, month and a half of the year were just bitterly cold. Colder than I can remember it being in a long time, if ever. The closest I can remember would be the first year I was in college, and even then, that may not be as close as I think.

And even if it has warmed up some since then, it's not nearly as warm as it usually is this time of year. It's April third, hell, almost the fourth now, and they're still calling school off early because of snow. I could be wrong about this, too, but I don't remember such a thing ever happening this late in the year, even that first year I was in college, which was sort of a “winter from hell” sort of thing

Things haven't gotten much better the last month and a half or so, either. It hasn't been quite so cold, generally speaking, but it's been windy as hell, which has really taken my enthusiasm for getting out and doing things down a few notches. My health has really suffered for it, too. I've been putting on weight when I've been trying to take it off. What's worse is that in the process of it all, I've come down with a severe cold. Worst one I've had in a couple years, I think.

None of it has been helped by the fact that I've been under a fair amount of stress lately. There are a few things to it, but now is not the time or place to really get into it.

The good news, though, is that I'm finally starting to get over whatever it is I've had and some of the things that have been causing me the stress have been taken care of. That means it's time to come up with something like a plan going forward.

First thing I need to do is finish getting over this illness thing I've got. That shouldn't take too much longer. Maybe another week or so. Getting on a more regular sleep schedule will help with that.

Once I'm back to a point where I'm feeling rested up again and not worried about hacking up a lung or something, it's time I did something about my job situation. I'm not entirely sure what that's going to be just yet, but I do know that changes need to happen in that area, and perhaps the sooner the better.

And then there's all this other stuff I do on the side. I know I want to keep doing as much of it as I can. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do and how to make it happen.

One thing that I've got planned for the yet-to-be-determined short term is a side project for my Text Play series. The plan is that sometime soon here, I'm going to start a game of Final Fantasy 8. Chances are, I won't actually finish the game, but that's not really the point of it. The point is more to get into a little more about my own thoughts, feelings, and experiences with the game. There's a few things in life I need to move on from, come to terms with, and maybe doing that'll help. I'm not sure why Final Fantasy 8 specifically, but it's as good an idea as any I've got right now, far as I can tell. I'll do an intro blurb for it when I'm ready to start, but that might not be for awhile yet.

I know that's not much of a plan, but it's better than what I've had for far too long now. Maybe I'll be able to work something out in the next few days. For now, though, it's time for me to go to bed. I'll be back soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment