Wednesday, September 10, 2014

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy VI (Super Nintendo, Square, 1994): Issue #038: Mildly Disappointing

If I did this right, the guy giving clues at the Magic Tower didn't give me 100,000 gold worth of clues.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like this endeavor wasn't worth it. It was. But unless I did something wrong, it was no ancient castle I was in for all this. It was more like one of the caverns we could have come across in the Serpent Trench in the World of Balance, the first half of the game.

There were a few good treasures to be found, sure. Doom Darts for Setzer and a Graedeus dagger that everybody could use. The dagger is even Pearl elemental, which means that it works great against undead monsters and randomly casts the Pearl spell.

But, I suspect I messed something up, and I'm not entirely sure how or where. I'm still under the impression that there's a door or something I couldn't find in there. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back later and correct the mistake, assuming there is one.

At least I was a little more successful getting Gau some new rages on the Veld. I did get some new monsters that have appeared since the Floating Island, which was a while ago now. There were some that he just didn't come back for that I would have liked to try to add to his list, but maybe I'll have more luck later.

I think next time I play a little Final Fantasy VI, I'll try for either Cyan or Terra again, more likely Terra. That's mostly because if Cyan's not actually in Doma Castle, it means that he's probably in Zozo instead, and I have a hell of a time with that, too. I think Terra will rejoin the party now that I've got more of the other characters back, though I'm not entirely sure what the conditions for that are, either.

Also, I think I've figured something out, and once I say what that is, you'll understand why I say I wish I'd thought of this when I was doing Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. See, for awhile, my Super Nintendo was glitching on me again, like it was at the end of Lufia, so I took my FFVI cart out and tried a different game for awhile. That seemed to clear it up. It also reminded me that I'm not really that great at Zelda games, but I said that in a Looking Back article I wrote about Link to the Past recently.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get back on a more regular schedule for all this again. It's a real help to have something like that, and I've slipped a bit on that lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment