Saturday, March 31, 2018

TEXT PLAY: Secret of Mana (Squaresoft; SNES, 1993): Issue #009: Secret of Undertale


This is going to cover at least two sessions just because I didn't want to waste the issue title on what would have been a short one otherwise.

So, to begin with, we're going after a water sprite called Undine who lives under a waterfall near the Water Palace. I'm going with the subtitle here because there's a part in a more recent game involving a similar character in a similar situation. In the case of 2015's multiplatform RPG Undertale, we find ourselves dealing with a character named Undyne in a similar setting, at least.

In the case of Secret of Mana, the Undine we're looking for needs rescuing from what amounts to a miniboss. The waterfall she lives behind is to the east of the Water Palace. There's three fish monsters called Iffish guarding the main entrance and three more immediately inside as well. This bit took me a couple tries to get through. Didn't straight up get the party killed or anything, but I did get to find out if Luka could bring back the dead because I got Mickey killed by the first batch of fish. Fortunately, she can.

The second attempt involved just dashing past the fist bunch of fish and beating the hell out of the second before moving on. In the next chamber, there's an egg that hatches into a tadpole sorta thing that we've gotta fight. Just our luck it's the first form of the miniboss we have to fight to get through to Undine. After a little pounding, the tadpole turns into the Biting Lizard, who can damage party members by eating them. This second form is a little tougher, but with a strategy of avoidance, it turned out to not be much of a problem. In this case, I had Mickey and Rose equipped with long-range weapons, which came in handy because they could still attack while I charged up the hero's sword to hit it at full power.

When the Biting Lizard goes down, we get a Glove Orb and access to a third chamber where Undine is. She thanks the party, and says she'll help the party by giving us one more new weapon that I'd forgotten about, the javelin, in the form of the pole dart. She also says she'll give Rose healing and defensive magic and Mickey combat magic. The hero doesn't get any direct magic, but the Mana Sword will be his True Power, I guess.

Once all that's taken care of, we can go back and save with Luka. She says we should go back to the Underground Palace now because we can use Undine's magic to get in and do our thing there. I was going to try to at least make it back to Gaia's Navel in one sitting, but I got a way-too-late start on it and decided I'd just do that in a second session and wrap it up then, in hopes of getting started at a more reasonable time.

That kind of did happen. It wasn't so much that I was starting at a particularly bad time for the second session of this as much as it is that I'd somehow let ten days go by before I got back at it. Not quite as bad as I've been to Final Fantasy IX of late, but still longer than I'd intended.

Anyway, far as what I got done this time around was pretty much find my way from the Water Palace to Gaia's Navel. It's a hell of a walk, sure, and I suppose I could have found one of the game's “fast travel service” locations if I'd really wanted to. Thing is, though, we're still early in the game here, in spite of how long I've been playing, or at least attempting to play, it, and as I'm sure I've said about many of these games before, it's generally a good idea to hoof it in order to get your gold and levels up. That's doubly true for this game, because it's like I was saying back in Elenee's Castle in that there are a lot of plot-advancing dungeons where things seem set up to pretty much screw the player over if they're not careful. There's another one of those coming up, but we'll be getting to that in a bit.

For now, I should say that to get from the Water Palace to Gaia's Navel, we gotta head west out of Pandora Village. It's still a ways from there, but it's worth it on account of what I was saying before. Gonna need as many levels and as much gold as I can get to keep myself stocked on supplies and equipment just so I can hopefully make it through the next section. It's also why I took the long way back into the Dwarf Village.

Once I actually got there, there were a couple weapons for Watts to upgrade, which were the glove and the boomerang. Those will come in handy later. It's also a good idea to save before going forward. Things do tend to go badly in this game, as I keep saying.

With all that taken care of, I figured I'd just go ahead with the Underground Palace, so I could get it out of the way and make up for a little lost time. Turns out, that was not exactly the best idea ever. Getting in was easy enough. Just gotta use Undine's magic on a crystal orb outside the place to take care of the lava. I'm not entirely sure it matters really what kind, specifically, but out of habit, I used Mickey's Freeze spell on it. Considering how this ultimately went, I'll have a chance to test out other stuff later, but for now, the first attempt.

See, we're going to be running into more new monsters here, and I think the only one I encounterd this first time that didn't spawn other monsters was the Chess Knight. There's another new beast in here called the Ma Goblin that spawns other Goblins and uses Level 2 Cure Water magic. This is what ultimately got me here, because a group of these things pretty much cornered the party after I'd dealt with a handful of switch puzzles and killed everybody. When that happened, I shut my TV and console off to come do this. Had I actually started the virus scan on my computer as I'd intended, I might have gone back and taken another shot at it before going ahead with this. Since I hadn't, though, it's time I got this up and posted.

So, next time, we'll be going into the fire themed Underground Palace, and hopefully getting somewhere with it.

Until then, stay safe, keep gaming, have fun, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment