Wednesday, May 6, 2020

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #057: Ibsen's Castle, Part Three


It's a part of what I did this time. Asmall part, sure, but a part all the same. Plus, I didn't find any reason to swear this time around, which is good.

When I left off last time, I was at the save point in Ibsen's Castle with just Zidane going after Amarant. The good news is that our guy is right down the pole in the main room, so he was just about out of there on his own. The bad news is that he'd pretty much gotten his ass handed to him anyway, which kind of sucks for him. It always does, I know from experience.

The conversation these two have is pretty much what I was saying last time. Amarant wants to know why Zidane's coming to get him out because Amarant had said he was done with the party and a potential enemy at that point. Zidane explains that it's just how he rolls and that Amarant's a part of the team, which means he's important enough to come back for.

And then I started having to go over a few things multiple times because I, as a player, have a bad way of trying to get clever about things, and it often ends in tragedy. At first, I was going to say I was going to get lucky and manage to get back out without getting into a battle, and then I got into two in quick succession and wound up dead after the second one because I had to be clever about winning the fight.

The second attempt at it, I was successful at getting out of the castle. At this point, there's a cutscene where Zidane explains to the gang what just happened as a recap, just in case we'd forgotten between sessions. We'd gotten these mirrors from a map mural at the top of the castle, representing the Elemental Orbs from the very first Final Fantasy game. I think I might have mentioned that last bit before. Even the layout on the map is pretty much the same. The clues we got from all this are that there are four places around the world we've gotta go to unlock the portal to the other world. We're going to have to do all four at once, which means splitting the party into four groups of two so we can do it all at once.

Seeing all this made me remember that I may have done this once, ages ago, the last time I made it this far in the game. I remember that it kinda sucked, in part because I'd had, and still have, playable characters that are kind of underleveled, from either my intentionally not using them much leading up to this point, or just not having a chance to. With that in mind, I figured I'd do a little level grinding to get those levels up a bit. Thing is, I did that thing where I tried to get clever again, and it went badly, as it tends to. I'd gone looking for the first of the places the party's going to, and figured I'd do some level grinding first. Wound up in a fight with a giant green dragon and got killed again, without saving after getting the party together again, so I had to go through most of that first stuff again.

Once that was taken care of one more time, I did finally get a little bit smart about this. There's a guy on the airship who tells us where each of the four mirrors translate to on the world map. The first one's just a smidge to the south of Ibsen's Castle. I found the place, and a place to grind for a bit, too. In the process, I also found a friendly Jabberwock who wanted an Emerald, so I gave him one. All it did was say that the next friendly monster we'll find is a Feathered Circle before giving us 40 ability points, which was enough to finish off most of the abilities from items I had on Amarant, who was in the party. We also got a moonstone for our effort.

In the process of reequipping him, I remembered that I'd been meaning to go back to Lindblum or some other place with a Synth Shop so I could get some new equipment with new abilites to learn. Ultimately, I wound up in Lindblum, where there were a few items I could get. This time around, I got a Barrette, which only the female characters can use, a Fairy Earring, and a Madain Ring, all of which have some good abilities. The one I look most forward to is the Chemest ability. Only the female characters get it, but it essentially doubles the power of potions used in battle when those characters use them, which really comes in handy at this point in the game.

Once I got my items bought and equipped, I saved at the Inn in Lindblum and stopped for the night, because it was still later than it should have been for this kind of thing, even though it wasn't as late is it had been the last few times I did a Text Play entry.

It might be another good while before I get back to this game again, because I'm pretty sure this next part calls for a rather big time commitment when we do get started with it, and I'm not entirely sure of when I'll have that much time to set aside as one block. I've also got some non-gaming stuff I want to write about, too, and I kind of want to get that up between these posts. That' going to have to wait awhile, too, though, because for now, it's time to get this post set up and at least try to get some sleep before getting on with whatever's going to come next. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment