Wednesday, May 27, 2020

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #004: Moving Right Along


I'm not sure if it's just me, but this game seems to just move right along.

Maybe it's the number of times I've been through it since it came out, but even this more challenging version seems to breeze right by.

At any rate, when I got back to Mysidia, I bought all Cecil's Paladin gear but didn't equip it right away because I wanted to see what happened if I talked to everybody I needed to without it on. It went pretty much the same as if I'd had it on, from what I remember of past playthroughs. Most of the differences came from the fact that this is a better translation, not only because it reads more like the characters are native English speakers, but also because it's not so much like the translators were getting paid by the word, too.

The townsfolk are all surprised that Cecil managed to pull off the class change, though not all can forgive him. The elder's explanation of why Palom and Porum were sent along is better, too, as is Cecil's acceptance of it. He says he understands, considering all he'd done. The Elder also says the way back to Baron will be opened for the party, this version calling it the Devil's Road, rather than the Serpent's Road. Either way, it's back to Baron.

When the party arrives, we're directed to the inn, where Yang and a couple royal guards are hanging out in the Pub. Along the way, we're told that Cid has been locked up in the castle for refusing to turn over the latest airship to the king. One thing I found interesting is that there's this one kid who comments on Cecil's class change. In the SNES version I've got, the kid says he misses the Dark Knight because he was scary but cool. In this one, he simply asks if the knight is dead.

The fights with the guards and Yang are a little harder here, but that's OK because it's what I was looking for. I wound up losing the twins in the fight with Yang, but the night at the inn restores everybody's health to full. Everything about that cutscene plays out pretty much the same, just with better dialog.

I also went most of the way through the Old Waterway. Having Bolt Claws on Yang is generally a help, so that's what I've got there. Towards the save point just shy of the castle, I was actually running from battles as a defensive thing, and decided to end the first session there because I needed rest myself.

When I came back to this a while later, it was time to go on into Baron Castle for the fights with Baigan and Kainnazo, or in this case, Cagnazo. The fight with Baigan was markedly more difficult in this version than the one I'm more used to. I actually lost a few party members a couple times before finally winning

Water Fiend Cagnazo is more of a challenge in this version, too. Not as much more as Baigan, but still noticable. He actually managed to hit the party with his wave attack a few times. At least it's still kinda possible to cheese him with Tellah's Lit-3 spell.

With the fiend out of the way, we're introduced to Cid. I'm not sure what I think of him here. He's still one of my favorite characters in the game, of course. I just get a sense this is what they were basing Barrett on on Final Fantasy 7, too. I do like how they changed the dialog after the twins turn themselves to stone, though. It seemed kind of silly, in the original SNES release, that he was saying that he'd avenge the party to his new airship, the Enterprise. In this version, it's more clear that he means it's time for payback against Golbez, which means it's time to get the new vehicle.

The cutscene where Kain tells the others that they need to get the Earth Crystal from Troia to save Rosa is less hammy here, and I kind of like that, too. From there, I did a little side tripping, but that didn't last long, and I wound up at Troia, which is where I stopped for the night and will be ending this issue, too. Hopefully, I'll be able to get these things out on a more regular basis again soon now.

Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA. See you soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment