Thursday, January 7, 2021

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #012: Learning Something

I guess we always have room to learn things, even about things we think we know well.


Of course, there's a chance I might have known I could have gotten the Excalibur after the cutscene where we get the Blue Whale. If I've ever tried it, though, it's been awhile. Long enough that I'd forgotten. Since I got the sword ahead of schedule, I took advantage of the duplicating glitch and farmed up a few to toss while I'm on the moon. Will certainly come in handy against Bahamut, and I might even wind up using some while grinding for levels, too. I'm glad I took the time to do a special session for that.


Those extra throwing items came in handy when I finally got back around to having a go at this. The bigger help, though, was a pair of combat items called StarVeil and MoonVeil. I had one of one and two of the other, intending to use them on Cecil, Edge, and Rydia, with the idea that I'd just use the Wall spell on Rosa and the last new party member, a guy called FuSoYa, when we got into the fight with Bahamut. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself on that, of course. First, I'd better talk a bit about the changes with getting FuSoYa.


Maybe it's because I'm still in the habit of working on all this way later than I really should, or maybe it's because I've got a lot of stress going on in my life between work and all the other stuff going on in the world right now, but it seemed like this part was pretty much the same. Better, naturally, because it wasn't as ham-fisted and hokey as the SNES translation. There was a little tightening of the wording, and a few changes, but all for the better.


From there, I went on to get the Bahamut summon. Since this is where I pretty much abandoned my personal playthrough, I made a backup save, just in case this didn't work out as I was hoping, at least. Given how all this works, I'm a little concered that the backup wound up saving over something I didn't want to save over, and considering how my luck's been lately, I wouldn't be surprised. Upset, sure, and maybe even a little mad, depending on how wrong all this goes, but we'll see how all that goes when we get to other games.


The plan I mentoned above worked out relatively well, all things considered. The item I used on Rydia didn't last long enough to do any good, but the ones I used on Edge and Cecil really made the difference. See, it turns out Bahamut is way faster than he is in the SNES version, He does a five-count before using his Mega Flare attack, which can wipe out the whole party without the use of Wall or Reflect to bounce it back at him. In the SNES version, it takes him two rounds minimum to do it, but in this one, it's barely one. Fortunately, getting them on Edge and Cecil was enough to make the attacks I managed to get off enough to finish the fight in the party's favor. I thought I had Wall for Rosa, but I was wrong, and FuSoYa wasn't fast enough to get his off in time, but like I said, we were lucky enough for it to not matter, so I used an Exit spell to get back out of the cave and took the Blue Whale back to where we need to be to get into the Crystal Palace later. From there, I'll go back to Earth for the Giant of Bab-Il next time to see how that's been changed, and if the Genji armor I got for Cecil in Bahamut's Cave is still as good as I remember. Hopefully, things will be going better in other ways by then, too.


Until then, though, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment