Saturday, January 16, 2021

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #013: Penultimate Dungeon

Now that the Giant of Babil is out of the way, there's only one dungeon left in the main story.


I'm gonna post this part as its own issue because it's likely to be awhile before I finish the last one, if things go the way I think and hope they will. It's a long dungeon that I'll probably need a couple sessions to get through, and I'm planning on doing a little grinding before I start so I have sufficient materials to throw at things along the way and am at decent levels to make things more manageable. Who knows, I might even wind up with a couple extra summons as well.


As for the game itself, this translation seemed closer to what the SNES version was, only with more “adult” language and the personalities the characters were supposed to have. As has been the thing with so much else about this version of the game, some things were somewhat more challenging than I remember. At the same time, this is one of those moments when some of it was actually less difficult than I remember. One thing that was a bit easier than I remember was the Last Arm. It's a monster that guards a chest with an Elixer in it. The way I normally handle that fight is to hit it with a couple physical attacks and then have FuSoYa use his Flare spell on it because it's the one time in the US version we get to see a monster with the Fission attack. Maybe it's because I decided to not screw around this time that I wound up killing it beforehand, mostly because I had Rydia use Bahamut on it instead.


What turned out to be a little harder than I expected was the group battle with the Four Fiends. Like so many other bosses, especially, these ones were faster and stronger than they were in the SNES version. Valvalis in particular was bumped way up. She's got this attack called Storm that takes the whole party's health down to single digits. The first time I got to that part of the fight, I might have done it wrong and wound up dead as a result. Thankfully, I did have a memo file at the save point that comes just before then. I got lucky the second time and just barely made it through. When I got through that, I went back and made another memo save so I wouldn't have to chance it again with the giant's core.


The funny thing there is that the fight with the core wasn't nearly as hard as I remember it being. Again, that could just be because I played this the kind of careful I might have when I first started playing the game back in the day. Still, I don't remember being able to pretty much one-shot either of the main CPU's attack and repair drones, but that's pretty much what happened this time. Took out the repair one right off and then focused on the main part of it until it went down and then pretty much one-shotted the attacker, too.


From there, we get the cutscene where Cecil finds out that Golbez is his brother and they head off to the moon after Kain rejoins the party. I know I keep saying this, but for as fond as I am of the Super Nintendo version, I think I like this one a little better now that I'm almost done with it. I'll probably get more into that when I do the wrapup.


For now, though, it's gonna be a while before I get back to this. The plan is to just go through the whole final dungeon in one issue and then do a wrapup, but that could change if things get interesting while grinding or while I'm actually in the final dungeon. We'll find out when we get there, as always.


Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment