Saturday, July 10, 2021

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #017 o/~ Step By Step... .o/~

.o/~ One By One... .o/~


This might not be Jakob's Ladder, but it's the title that came to mind when I started this. At any rate, it's slow going, in part because I haven't had much time for it.


Another part of this is that for as many times as I've been through this game, one would think I'd know my way aroud better than I seem to this time. All the maps are identical, far as I can tell, and I'm still forgetting where stuff is, which is kind of embarrassing. But at least I did make some progress each session I put into this.


In the first one, I got pretty much all of Kain's Dragon gear and most of Cecil's Crystal stuff, as well. The random battles started getting easier, too, in part because of the levels I've been getting, too. One thing that seems different this time around is that I ran into an enemy called Tricker a few floors earlier than I remember. As I think I said in one of my runs of the SNES version, this one casts Scan on itself to show that it's weak against lightning, which is accurate, but if you use it, it goes nuts on the party. Rosa's Mute spell makes it possible to take advantage of the weakness, but I pretty much had it beat before I could. I'm just bringing this up because it seems like I was running into these things early and was wondering what else I'd come across early.


The second session of this was one that I needed a couple shots at to not do much. I got Cecil's crystal helm and Rosa's White Robe before deciding it was time for a break, and a little sleep. The night before I wrote this section, I tried to go a little farther than I did for the time I'm writing about. I also managed to get the Protect Ring in the previous attempt, but because I was overtired when I did it, I wound up dropping it after beating the monsters guarding it. The good news is that at least I have a better memory of where to go for the next part.


After entirely too long, I finally got through enough of a third session to write about it. In this case, the only bit of gear I got that was of any note was the Minerva Robe, which I gave to Rosa. It was a considerable upgrade. There's also another one of the ultimate weapons I could kind of see, but for the life of me, I can't recall how to get to. Between doing all this way too late and having other goals, I decided I'd find the last save point in the game before giving this a rest and posting this. It's well past time I did so, even if I'm not where I said I'd be at the end of the last one of these.


There was some grindy stuff along the way that was a big help. I'll probably do anonther one about all this as I get closer to the end. I won't dare predict how many more parts I'll need to finish this or how long it'll take to do it, considering how long all this has taken so far. Until I can get the next part up, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment