Monday, October 9, 2023

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #084: Lore Dump, Part One

I guess we'll be exploring memories for a bit now, since the area of the game I'm in now is called The Past.


The first part of this after the Nova Dragon was not as hard as I was expecting it to be, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'll take it, though, because I've been working on this game for far longer than I had intended to.


It took me two tries to get through this segment of it, but fortunately, it was only one session. The first time through, I wound up getting busted up by a goat-headed monster I think is called Ash, even if it wasn't the character from the Evil Dead movies. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but it got the better of me.


The second time went a good deal better, even if I did make a stupid mistake by casting the Carbuncle summon on my party during a random battle, because I had it set to do Reflect, and it wasn't to my advantage against an enemy with high defense and attack stats. Still, I got lucky and made it through.


Not much past that, I came to what could be the second miniboss of the area, assuming that Nova Dragon was the first: Maliris, the fire elemental from when we did the Four Shrines thing awhile ago now. We didn't actually have to do an actual player-controlled fight then, but when I thought about it, we did get to see a bit of it at the time. As a result of only seeing a bit of three of those four fights, I didn't notice that these elementals are meant to be at least callbacks to the ones from the original Final Fantasy game as well.


Once Maliris is taken care of, the party moves to a chamber where Zidane, Dagger, Vivi and Quina see a re-enactment of the destruction of Alexandria. Zidane, Dagger and Vivi react with the same shock they did the first time while Quina claims to not have seen anything. Zidane explains that it was a memory that Quina wouldn't have because they weren't there with the others when it happened. A moment later, Garland explains that it had something to do with Kuja demonstrating his ambition a decade earlier, before the game started.


With things looking to be less difficult going forward, I may actually be able to get these things out at a somewhat faster rate again. Gotta say, I'm loving this stuff again, which is nice. It will make it easier to go back and check to see if I've got everything, as there are a few things I think I may have missed that would be nice to have going forward.


But that'll be for next time. Hopefully, that will come sooner than this part has. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment