Saturday, December 30, 2023

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #085: Lore Dump, Part Two

This is long overdue, but that's mostly because of health issues.


I'd intended to get to this in late November or early December, but a couple days after I made the post saying as much, I came down with a rather severe respiratory illness that pretty much put a stop to that idea because I wasn't well enough to give either of the games I'm doing this for. I'm really hoping it was just an extremely severe cold, but given the mess we've had going on the last few years and the kind of luck I'm prone to, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something worse.


Anyway, as to the game. I did a little backtracking and got what I think is Zidane's last weapon upgrade. It's the last one I'm likely to get, anyway, unless I happen across a synth shop I can use or another one going forward. It was on a balcony sort of thing on the path that comes into where the save point I've been using is.


Going forward though the door to the right, there's a curving staircase that leads through a room full of floating stuff. Past that, there's a room with a big, raging storm in it. There's a point where Zidane can look up at something, but I'm not sure if it's a thing we need or can get. I'll try to find out before I have another pass through the area.


As the party passes over a bridge, Zidane sees a pair of cloaked figures getting ready to sail away in the storm. He tries to tell them not to go, but they don't react. Dagger tells him that this was actually her memory of her birth mother taking her out of Madain Sari, which is something we saw part of at the beginning of the game. Zidane asks Garland why he saw that if it was Dagger's memory, and Garland says he'll understand soon enough.


Further ahead still, Garland says he was trying to pull the same sort of crap as the supposed King of Baron at the start of Final Fantasy 4 because he was just that scared of the eidolons on Gaia, or whichever one it was he was trying to destroy. He also says something about a jewel that was split into four parts and hidden away with hopes of them never being seen again.


Since that last bit took place in a room with a staircase that leads up to a gateway or portal sort of thing that looks like that giant red Eye of Sauron thing that's been showing up throughout the game, I turned around and went back to that same save point I started from. I made the decision based on the idea that I need to get on a better sleep cycle than I have been for far too long now. That's probably why my health has been in the toilet for awhile, and why all this stuff has been less fun than I'd like.


With that in mind, I think my plan going forward will be kind of what I said in my end-of-year post the other day, in that I'll try to finish this game and do Earthbound Beginnings just for funsies if I continue with it. I'll try to have a wrap-up post for that up soon, but as I was saying, that's not likely to happen until after the first of the year at this point.


Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment