Friday, December 14, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #45: Getting the Flow Right


What we've got here is another Dreamworld quest. In this case, it takes place in the mind of a Jumi named Flourina. She's been having nightmares and needs somebody to go in and kick a little ass or something. At least that's what I got from the character explaining it, a witch named Belle.

When we get in there, we run into quite a few other characters from earlier in the game. They seem to have things to say about the nature of dreams. Or, at least I would assume so. I didn't talk to them all because at this point, I'm not in much mood to care. As I believe I've said before, I've pretty much screwed myself out of a few quests, so missing opportunities here is no big deal. I wasn't really going for a 100% run anyway.

The four major characters we've gotta follow here are Elazul, Pearl in both her forms, and Sandra the Jewel Thief. Niccolo's there, too, acting as something of a guide. Throw a couple hundred bucks his way and he'll help you along. I think it's only really necessary the first time you see him, but don't quote me on that. Between the guide I've been looking at on the Web and the rather clear choices, for a change, it's easier to get through this than I had thought. There are even a few monsters and a boss fight here. What a thing to find in a video game, huh? What will they think of next?

The gist of this quest is that the NPCs, at least the Jumi, are debating amongst themselves about who is to be the savior of the Jumi race. Ultimately, it's probably going to be me, because it seems as though I'm the only one who can get a damn thing done in this game. As the running debate goes on through this desert dreamscape, we see Pearl trying to decide who she really is, Elazul trying to redeem himself, and Sandra starting to look like more of a monster every time we see her. At the end, there's not much that really gets resolved. Sandra horks Blackpearl's core and leaves us another Jewel Beast to fight.

Once the quest's boss is taken care of, Elazul and Pearl seem to be back together again. Not sure how long that'll last. I guess that'll be revealed next time. From what I've seen, it sounds like a complex quest. I'm not sure if it will be or not. I was thinking this one would be and I was wrong.

The strategy guide I've been using has a recommended placement for the artifacts and lands and stuff that I really haven't been following much. I'm not sure how much it really matters, as it seems I've been getting through all this easily enough regardless. We'll just have to see what happens going forward is all.

So, anyway, one more quest left to finish off this Jumi thing and then the very final dungeon. The end is in sight after all. See you next time, folks. Until then, keep gaming, stay safe, have fun, and DFTBA, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment