Tuesday, June 4, 2013

TEXT PLAY: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (Taito, SNES 1993): Issue #10: A Tale Of Three Cities, Part Three: Belgen Waffles

Things are getting a little complicated here in Lufia Land.

So, the actual trip to Belgen isn't a particularly difficult one. And we may even be getting close to where Elfrea is now, because I can see a big old desert from the town.

The down side here is that nobody's really talking about anybody who knows how to get to Elfrea. Instead, everybody and their brother, including the town counsel is talking about somebody named Jerin and how she's been ransomed to monsters who've been attacking the town. In fact, that's the first thing anybody in Belgen brings up to us, as there's guards at the town's makeshift stockade gate who stop us at the entrance and debate if we're monsters until we convince them otherwise.

That's one thing about the good folks in Belgen. It's easy to think that maybe they're not so sharp in that town, since both Lufia and Aguro call the townsfolk out on the whole “ransoming” thing as being backwards and a little barbaric. And based on the other things that the townsfolk keep saying about the situation, I come to the conclusion that the word they're looking for here is “sacrifice”. Part of the reason I cut this issue a little short was because that classic line from The Princess Bride kept running through my head and I just had to look up what the word “ransom” meant in my Handy-Dandy Tenth Edition Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary that my mother gave me when I graduated from high school. One definition is the act of holding a person or thing for a price; the other is the price paid to attain that release.  This may be a matter of the localization of the game for the North American and specifically US market changing it to avoid the word "sacrifice" or "hostage", because we're funny like that here. Granted, there's only so much they could have done with the technology at the time, but the translation here is still a little clumsy. Then again, it's like that in a lot of other games of that era, too. But that's a topic for another time, outside these Text Plays.

The good news, though, is that the people in the town hall will tell you where this Jerin person is. She's at a dais on an island to the west, but there's a locked gate there that needs to be opened. Fortunately, there's a cellar where other sacrifice “honorees” are kept, and one of them tells you where the key is, and that her brother's guarding it. This is good, because both brother and sister have enough of a conscience about this whole thing to just turn over the key.

Of course, the bad news is that the cave where the key is kept is a nice level-grinding dungeon, much like the Phantasm Cave from last issue. There's lots of good stuff to be had in this cave, too, and I know I missed a lot of it. If I need to grind for levels, and I may very well need to soon, I'll do an issue about revisiting those caves. I consider myself lucky that I haven't had to so far, but that's certainly subject to change.

But for now, with the Dais Key safely retrieved and the party back at Belgen, I'm going to give it a rest for now. With any luck, next outing will get us to Dais of Our Lives. See you then, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment