Friday, August 15, 2014

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy VI (Super Nintendo, Square, 1994): Issue #035: Not-So-Magical Experiences, Part Three

Well, fuck.

Looks like I'm going to have to change my plans again. At least I've got a decent in-game reason this time.

See, I finally got to the top of the Tower of Magic. The treasure up there is called the Gem Box. It's really a great Relic to have, because whichever character has it can cast any and every spell they have for a single MP. That really comes in handy starting right about now.

But, as always, there's a boss fight. There's always a boss fight at times like this. That's how video games work, especially RPGs like this. In this case, we're up against a boss monster called the MagiMaster. It would seem that this guy's the ghost of one of the robot monstrosities we fought all the way back in the MagiTek Research Facility. It does the same Wall Change thing, where the elemental magic it's weak against changes every time it gets hit with pretty much any magic at all. This means that as long as the party has Wall Ring relics equipped, it's mostly an endurance test, as the MagiMaster will do most of the damage to itself.

Thing is, though, this boss has a final attack that essentially kills everybody in the room. The good news is that there's a way to get out of that. There's a spell called Life Three that can bring back any character it's cast on if something kills them. The bad news is I don't have it yet, and changing that's going to be quite a challenge. I've gotta go after Locke in the Phoenix Cave. I remember this part being a bit difficult, but doable.

So, that's where we'll be going next time: the Phoenix Cave. We'll get the Esper Phoenix and Locke back in the party. From there, it'll be a matter of just grinding up at least one party member with Life 3 before we go back after the tower again. I'll probably tell about the cave, but not the grinding.

And a special note before I wrap this up. Starting next issue, I'll be running this Text Play through my Patreon account, found here: http://www.patreon.com/JMShearer . The issues will still show up here, as well, within a day or two, because I do like to have the links I embed work, and they don't so much on Patreon.

With that in mind, I'll see you next time. Until then, keep gaming, have fun, stay safe, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment