Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sonic 'Toons And Me: Part One: Introduction

This is one of those things that's been on my mind more than it should be of late, so I may as well try to do something with it.

For awhile now, I've been reading through some old reviews for the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics that a guy named Dan Drazen has been doing for quite a number of years now. Well, that's kind of understating it in order to maybe be a little too nice about it. I'm up to 1998 now, and he'd been doing them fairly consistently for at least a couple years by then, so it's really been for pretty much the entire 20-year, thus far, run of the book. I'm sure I had a reason in mind when I started, because I chose to start with either 1996 or 1997 when I started going through the back issues of Drazen's reviews.

One thing I've noticed, even in the year or two's worth of these that I've read recently is that changes have been a fairly common thing, as has been a rather loud fan reaction, so that's not exactly new to the whole “reboot” thing I see people talking about, mostly on deviantART, but a few other places as well.

I've been a fan of pretty much everything but the games for most of the twentysome years the Sonic franchise has been around as well. I know I've written a few things about it before, in various places, so what I'm doing here is nothing new, really. I'm thinking this might make an interesting little series, but how far I'll be able to go with it, I'm not sure as yet. All I know is that I'm at least getting started now, which is a good thing, I suppose.

I'll get a little bit more down to business in Part Two: Saturday Morning and Early Archie Comics. I'll try to get to that soon enough, of course, but I think this is as good a place as any to stop for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment