Monday, October 26, 2015

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Square, SNES, 1992): Issue #011: Glitter Dome

Home to one of the largest Caption Gallery archives on the World Wide Web and Side Man's Famous Hot Wings.

But all Internet levity and cyber-shenanigans aside, this is actually one of the longest dungeons in the game, perhaps even longer than the final one, relatively speaking. It kind of reveals two things I've known for awhile: playing these games over and over again, as I've done too often over the years, makes them kind of boring; and I've not been taking care of myself as well as I'd thought lately. All three of these things, plus the late hour at which I've begun doing these things, found me dozing off as I tried to work my way though the Lava Dome.

Now, I'm not sure if we need to talk to Reubin's dad to finish this off, but he's laid up in bed at his house in Fireburg, and he says he forgot to tell us that the Fire Crystal is in the Lava Dome. Easy enough to figure out, of course, but knowing how these games work, we may still need a specific character to tell us that.

In the Lava dome, we get what I believe is an entirely new batch of enemies. Well, pallet swaps and renamed, weakened versions of old ones, for the most part, but the intent is the same. We've got Hot Wings, another bird type enemy that does fire based attacks; ninjas; Fangpires, which are pretty much a slightly stronger vampire from what we may have seen before; Iflytes, which are a weakened version of the Jinn we saw in the Mine; Adamant Turtles; Sthenos, which are like the Medusa on the Volcano; and the Avizzard, a stronger version of the Gargoyles we saw before.

There's tons of stuff to find in here that's actually kind of important. To the left is the Moon Helm. It's the mid-level headgear, I believe, and I'm sure it protects against some status effects or elemental attacks, but for now, I can't recall what they are. To the right, there's the Life spell that's Ben's fourth and final White Magic spell. Both of these items require jumping puzzles and use of Mega Grenades to get. The Life spell, especially, will come in handy, but as I said at the top of the article, I found myself dozing off as I progressed through this, so once I got the spell, it was time to heal up and save the game. I'll finish this in the next issue, hopefully. So until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment