Wednesday, December 2, 2015

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Square, SNES, 1992): Issue #021: Boss Rush, Part Two

I think this boss rush is more about level grinding than it is about the endurance test.

Kind of like Captain Mac's ship was, really. But really, at least we're finally at a point where it's almost like how most of the games in the main series start, and we're almost at the end of the game. I'll try to say more about this in the epilogue, but at least there are two things that are common in the main games that are happening here, too: it takes quite a lot of XP to get between levels now, and we're going to end the game with a Buy All The Things level of gold.

But the thing here is that this boss rush takes place in sections. The B2 area where we fought the Skullerous Rex was the Earth section, and the Stone Golem was in the Water section. With that in mind, the remaining two sections are revisits of the final dungeons in the Fire and Air regions, respectively.

Many of the monsters we've been seeing lately seem most fitting for these last two areas, especially. They work the best here. Because Ben's immune to most of the status and elemental attacks in the game now, the cheap deaths that have plagued us thus far are quite a bit easier to avoid now. With that said, let's get on with the last two bosses in the boss rush.

In the Fire section, we fight the Twinhead Wyvren, an upgraded version of the Dualhead Hydra from the Lava Dome. I suppose similar tactics would have worked against this boss and the two before it, had I been arsed to try them. Since I've kind of been rushing, I've just been spamming the White and Flare spells against the bosses, just to move things along.

Something I probably should note before we get on to the last one of these mini-bosses is that getting through these areas is as much muscle memory as anything. There were times when I got a little stuck, of course, but that was more because this is being written after another of my way-too-late-all-things-considered play sessions, and I was half asleep.

I mention that because, if memory serves, it's possible to actually fall off the pathways in the final section of this, and I managed to pull off not doing that in spite of dozing my way through most of it. The boss here is called Zuh, who is a somewhat upgraded version of Pazuzu. I actually used Ben's Areo spell on him instead of the wizard magic, just for the hell of it, and it didn't take too much longer than it would have had I used White or Flare. And a cool thing about Zuh is if you say that a few times fast, it kind of sounds like what I imagine Brain the dog from Inspector Gadget might sound like if he were getting laid. Zuh... zuh... zuh... zuh...

But anyway, it's already way too late, so I suppose I'd better knock off the childish humor so I can wrap this up and go to bed, since I have work to get to, and I need sleep before then. So, next time, we'll get to the One More Thing before the final boss. Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment