Saturday, June 27, 2020

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #021: Back to the Fynn Part I


It would be nice if I could get this part of the game done in two or three parts, but this is where the game really starts kicking you in the teeth, especially if you play the way I do, so it's hard to be sure how long this'll take.

Granted, the Let's Play of this game that that HCBailly guy's doing on YouTube right now is showing a better strategy for this than I usally use. Then again, he tends to put way more effort into this sort of thing than I do. My play style's closer to a different Let's Player called AppleGodZMG, in that he also seems to be doing this sort of thing as mostly a way to kill a little time when not at work. With that in mind, if I'd had my shit together after work the night I wrote this, I probably would have done some Final Fantasy 9 instead of chilling out watching Twitch streamers and doing this after.

Anyway, on with the game. As I ways saying at the end of the last issue, we're off to retake the castle at Fynn. We're making a good start this time, or at least as good a start as possible, playing the way I do. There's the village of Gatrea between Altair and Fynn, and you'd think that's where Hilda and Gordon might set up their base for the attack, what with there being permanent structures and a shrine and all. Instead, they've got an encampment made up of tents and the like. It's actually Gordon who tells us we need to go into Fynn ourselves to take care of the Empire for them. It's just going to be Firion, Maria and Guy going in to do the hard part and clear out the castle. I'd kind of hoped they'd have a fourth party member for us there, but no such luck. He says it's because we've done so well on all our previous missions

The City of Fynn is pretty much the same as it was last time, so no point in screwing around there. Naturally, there's monsters loose in the castle, since the Empire's in charge there, too. I think the weakest things in there are the Warlocks, which are magic users. There are others of that sort called Wizards and Sorcerers, too, which are incredibly worse, which is not helped by the fact that they show up with other, more heavily armored enemies called Seargents and Captains. At least the drops are decent, but considering all the damage these things can do, it's no surprise that most of my party's stats went up thanks to my being dumb enough to explore a little bit before going ahead with the main quest. I at least got new spells for Firion and Maria. I got one called Aura for Firion, which is supposed to boost attack power against “various foes”, as the game puts it, and I gave a Drain spell to Maria, which can take health from enemies and give it to her.

There's a dude waiting for the party at the start of what is the correct route through all this. I think that might be the fourth party member we so desperately need right now, but I'll get to that next time I do this game. The plan right now is for that to be awhile because I've got things I need and want to do after work the next couple days and then finally get back to Final Fantasy 9 after that. So until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment