Saturday, June 20, 2020

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #005: Grinding Away


I'll probably be doing a lot of that as I go along here, just so I can have my levels high enough to do what I want to do later on.

I'll get to what all that is when it's closer to when I'm actually going to do it, but I will say for now that I'll be doing a lot of level grinding as I go along here. It'll also give me a chance to play around with some of the expanded item list in this version.

In the hour or so I spent doing mostly that in the first session for this issue, I got a couple levels for everybody in the party right now. That'll come in handy with the part of the story that's coming up, and it'll be a bonus for the party members we'll have along later, too. For now, I think the only one we'll still have when we get to the parts I'm worried about is Cecil, but I could be wrong about that.

I also used a couple of the “new”, or at least new to me items, to see or remind myself of what they did. One is simply called “Hermes” in this version of the game, and casts Haste on the user. The other was called Illusion, and puts Blink on the user to protect them from what seems to be about two hits. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way for either of these things, but they might still have their uses.

Along with that, I advanced the story a little bit, too. The Eight Sister Clerics that run Troia still explain that they need us to get their Earth Crystal back, and will let us borrow it if we pull it off. The wording is, for the most part, a little better, but there were a couple instances where I think they were changing things just to change them. One of the Clerics has what seems to be an accent from the Southeastern US, while another did a little family-friendly cussing, telling us that the “bleeping” Dark Elf had the crystal. Neither of these were, at least for me, necessary or positive changes.

In the scene where Edward gives the party the Twinharp so he can be of some use later does a better job of making the prince's feelings clear, having him just say he thinks it's his fault that Tellah's daughter is dead. It also does something a little different with the doctor's explanation of why Edward's recovery is going to be so slow, in that he seems naturally frail to begin with.

From there, I went to the island with Cave Magnes on it. I'll be using pretty much the same strategy I usually do this time, which is to avoid as many fights as I can on the way in and then grind on my way back out, but that was going to be for the second session.

The cave itself is little different than what I'm used to. Because I went straight there instead of doing a little side questing first, I didn't have to change as much to get through. Cid still points out that the magnetic field the Dark Elf is causing will keep them from fighting, but Tellah and Yang can still fight or use magic if they don't have any metal equipment on, and so can Cid since I didn't have any metal stuff on him, either. The biggest difference is the tone they gave the Dark Elf himself. In the SNES version, he sounds mentally handicapped or something, in this one, they made him use the same kind of weird emphasis that the Sorceress in Final Fantasy 8 does. It seems like kind of a wash to me, really, as I'm really not entirely sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, the original did kinda need to be changed, but I'm not sure this version is an improvement.

Some of the items were at least named differently, too. There was one room that had boxes with healing items in the SNES version that were combat items here.

Beyond that, it's all pretty much the same as it was the last couple times I did playthroughs here. Only other thing I did differently was that I went to Silveira after the cave but before returning the crystal so I could get all Silver equipment for Cecil, and the hammer for Cid and the staff for Tellah. In this case, it's Mythril and the Mythril Village, but essentially the same otherwise.

From here, I'll probably put a little more time into level and gold grinding before I advance the plot any more, and not start another issue until I do unless something interesting happens. Hopefully, I'll finally be able to make a little time for FF9 again as well. I kinda want to see just how much of the game I actually remember from last time I got this close to the end.

Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA. See you soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment