Monday, October 12, 2020

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #009: Underground Side Quests

 Well, some of them, anyway.


There are a few of these that can't be finished right away, so I'll have to come back later to take care of them.


Before I get to that, though, one thing I forgot to mention is that when we finished off Rubicante and the Chamberlain comes in with the party of soldiers from Eblan, they changed the guy's name to Gramps. Not sure why, but they did.


Moving on to where we get the airship ready to go. The staff in the medical ward calls Cid a kook and are a little kinder about how he's behaving in there. He's still raring to go, of course, but seems a little different about it. Cid calls Edge a young punk, which is a little different.


When the ship was ready to go, the first place I went to was the blacksmith's place. That's about the same as in the SNES version. We'll have to get a special item called the rat tail from the Land of Summons. Before I went there, I went to the town of Tomra. I don't really bother with much there because we'll find better stuff as we go starting about now. It's mostly Diamond stuff in the shops. I got it this time, but I'm not sure how much good it'll do.


I was going to try the cave to the Land of Monsters, but didn't make it very far the first session.


The second sesson was getting down to the Village of Summond Monsters. I remember seeing this on the Super Nintendo. This whole cave, and the Sylph Cave as well were the first ones I'd ever seen that were 3D. It was a cool thing on the 16-bit SNES, but it's not so impressive on the PS2. By the time we got to that generation, we weren't really counting how many bits the processor was. As far as the gameplay goes, I'm not sure if the monsters are just that much harder or if the armor I have on my characters at this point is just crappier than I remember, but it seems like everybody was taking more damage than usual. Got Rosa killed multiple times. Also got the weapon upgrades along the way.


The village itself is about the same. About the only thing that's much different are the names of a few things. I forget what the original name of the Angel arrows was off the top of my head, for example. The Samurai bow and arrows on the bottom level were called Yoichi here. The one talking Chocobo used the “kweh” thing they do in Final Fantasy 9. Got the Sorcerer armor for the ladies and the Ageis shield for Cecil and Kain.


The fights with the Asura and Leviathan are about the same as I remember. It really helps to make use of the save point in the house to the north of the library that the king and queen are in. I also got the Rat Tail before the fight with the royalty.


With all that taken care of, I decided to give it a break for awhile. The third session's going to be about getting back out of the cave I'm in and into the Sylph Cave.


On the way back out of the Cave of Summons, I got Rydia's level up to where she got Ice 3. This is one of those times where I probably could have used somebody's Exit to get out, but walked it instead because I needed the levels.


The Sylph Cave is to the north and slightly to the west of the one that goes to the Village of Summoned Monsters. Fortunately for me, getting through was easy enough because I've been through it so often in the SNES version. There's an enemy in there called the Toad Lady, who comes with toad minions. They're obnoxious enough in the SNES version, but they're worse here because they're all much faster than they were in what I might call the “original”. There's still plenty of cool stuff in there that I might want to get back to at some point, in part for the levels, but also because the equipment is nice, too.


The Sylphs are pretty much the same in this version as in the SNES version, saying they are scared of humans, and they won't let us take Yang with us, as he's in a coma after being found at the mouth of the cave. I never really was sure how he got there after being blown up by the Super Cannon, and this wasn't any better.


Once all that was done, and I'd collected the last weapons Yang had on him, I used the warp tile on the second floor of the building, to save myself the trouble of battles on the way out. From there I went into the Tower of Babil to run around for a bit. I got to the top and then went back to the save point on the seventh floor before quitting for the night.


Since it's time to get this posted, I'll just end by saying that I'll probably do a little more running around for levels and gold before moving on with the plot, and just pick up with that next time, unless something interesting happens along the way.


Until then, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA. See you soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment