Monday, December 14, 2020

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation, 2000, Square-Enix): Issue #065: Mini World Tour: Multiple Sessions

This one's going to cover a couple sessions, at least.


This is in part because I'd managed to finish off the last bits of the easy abilities in the game I'm aware of, including the Darkside ability for Steiner that came with the Blood Sword I got for him last time. I'd say what those other abilities were, but I got to thinking about something else as I was working on that. Since I had that going on, I figured I'd just go back to Lindblum, where I'd saved last time, and save again, with a slightly different party I wanted to work on a bit, then make a Final Fantasy This Morning post about the other stuff, which should have gone up by the time you see this.


First, though, a note about the Blood Sword. Quite a lot of the Final Fantasy games have “blood” weapons in them, localized as “drain” in the SNES version of Final Fantasy 4. In most of the ones I'm familiar with, such weapons restore health to the user in the amount of damage they do to the target. There may also be some connection to the target's defense as well, but the only one I know for sure where that's the case is Final Fantasy 2, where the higher the target's defense is, the more damage it does. Otherwise, it may well just be taking the target's health.


Otherwise, I'd left off where I said I was in the first paragraph below the jump so I could do the FFTM article and do the research I mentioned in the last issue of this before continuing on.


As with so much of what I do on this blog, I had intended to get to the second part of this sooner than I did, but here we are. Once again, I was finding myself more screwing around than actually trying to finish the game. I did do some of what I said I was going to do, but found myself in a situation where there were a couple ways I could go with this. Since I keep saying this isn't going to be a 100% run by any means, and there's plenty of stuff I've passed up, intentionally or otherwise, along the way, I figure I could take this chance to do a little experiment to see if there are any more experienced players out there reading this. I've got a quick question for them.


See, the way I'm planning on doing this is to just skip the whole Ozma thing after the final battle of the game, and with that in mind, I went ahead and used the one Moonstone I'm probably going to have in this playthrough for the Pearl Rouge accessory, which is mostly for Dagger and Eiko, but Caves of Narsche says Freya can use it too. Thing is, I could also give it to a friendly Feather Circle monster in the northern ice fields to advance with the Ozma business, and I have a “backup” save where I still have the Moonstone instead. So my question for the more experienced players is this: would it be worth it to go the other route or try to farm up another Moonstone for the bonus boss, or should I just skip it as planned?


Since I tend to be a bit pokey about getting back to these things, there's a little time before I make up my mind, but I'm still hoping to pick up the pace with this a little more, too.


No matter how this works out, I'll be around, so until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment