Sunday, December 27, 2020

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy II (Famicom 1988/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #029: Mysidia Tower, Part One

Part of what makes this a long dungeon is that there's four minibosses and a regular boss in here.


I don't think I'll break this up into four parts or anything. At least right now, anyway. We'll see how things work out.


This first part is basically an attempt to explain how I remember this thing going. Like I said above the jump, there's four minibosses, as I recall. There are also four sections, based on Fire, Ice/Water, Air, and Earth, I believe, roughly in that order. Each section is a couple floors long, with a Gigas boss in between each. Each floor has equipment based on the relevant element. I probably won't be using any of it, so I'll be leaving the village to clear inventory space and restock on potions and whatnot.


The first floor is just a plain old entrance level with no elemental theme that I'm aware of. The next couple floors up are fire themed, with lava floors and that sort of fun stuff. I guess I'm lucky that I've got my ice spell, especially, up so high because it comes in handy here. The lava floor takes health off the party, which makes getting through fights a little tougher here. Kinda why I need to keep a decent stock of healing items on hand.


The good news is that having my ice spell at level six really helped. A couple shots of that and a few hits from the rest of the party were enough to take it down relativley easily. From there it's off to the ice floors, which means fire will be handy next.


I called it partway through the first ice floor because I was running low on inventory space and a few items I would rather have, so I used Firion's Warp spell to get back out and go to Altair to sell, buy, and rest up at the Inn before going back to the base of the tower to continue. I saved there for now because it was getting late and I'm trying to get back into some better sleep habits again.


I'm really hoping I don't have to fight the minibosses each time I go through an area, because that would be more than a little frustrating. I know I'll have to sit through the little animation that happens when going in, but that's not so bad, really.


For now, the plan is to finish the tower off next time, even if it takes multiple sessions. I just wanted to get this up now, short as it is, to have some progress on one of these and let people know where I am with all this. Hopefully, I'll have some progress on FF9 soon, too.


At any rate, until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment