Sunday, December 6, 2020

TEXT PLAY QUICKIE: Final Fantasy 4: Chronicles Version (2001; PS1): Issue #011: Jonah and the Lunar Whale

Not the reference some might think.


Or maybe it is, considering how often I tend to use some themes for my jokes like this.


Anyway, this is going to be a one-session post in this series, which is something that might become a little more common going forward. In this case, it's because I actually cover quite a lot, so I may as well get started.


When I left off last time, I'd set up to get on with some side quests. I'd gotten the Adamant for upgrading the Legend sword to Excalibur at Kokkol's Smith and the Pan from Yang's wife, which is a key item for getting the Sylph summon, both of which take place in the Underground.


Before I actually went ahead with any of that, I took advantage of that bug or whatever that allows for reproducing equipped weapons and shields to get some Dancing knives to throw along with all the other swords and whatnot I'd done at the end of the last issue. When I figured I'd gotten enough of those, I went back to the Underground to drop off the Adamant and get Kokkol started on Excalibur. As I'm sure I mentioned in previous playthroughs, he won't have that ready for us until we get back from the moon. From there, I went back into the Sylph Cave to get that summon. Along the way, I happened to get one of the treasure chests that I had trouble with before. The extra couple levels really came in handy, as the Toad Lady and her six minions were much easier to take out, and I got a knife called the Mage Masher for the trouble.


Just past that, I got to where Yang and the Sylphs were. To get that summon, it's a matter of cracking him over the head with the pan from his wife. Kinda where I got the title for this post, though specifically from a different version of the same song.


When I got back to the surface, I though I'd have a go at getting the Odin summon from Baron. That wasn't exactly the greatest idea ever because I got my party killed. The added memo save function really came in handy, since I didn't necessarily have to make a hard save to get around that mistake.


The good news is that Rydia was within about a thousand XP of getting the Bolt 3 spell, which came in handy against Odin. I got that by doing a little hiking around on the way to give Yang's wife her pan back and get the Knife from her. I don't think that can be equipped as a weapon, but it is a good thing to throw later on in the game. I also tried to drop off some more stuff with the Fat Chocobo, only to find out that there is indeed a limit to what it can hold. I've been playing this game for the better part of thirty years now, and I'm not sure I ever ran into that issue, but then again, the version I'm used to didn't have nearly the range of items this one does, either.


Regardless, once I had Bolt 3, I went back to Baron for Odin. It still took me two shots to get that one, but only because I tried to get fancy the first time. The second time, I did what I usually do and it went much better. After that, I sold most of the low-tier items I didn't use on the way back from clearing them out at Fabul and then went on to Mysidia.


When I got there, I was going to use the Inn there, but I forgot that going in through the main entrance triggered the cutscene where the Lunar Whale is revealed to the party so they can go to the moon and begin the last or second to last act of the game. Given that this is where my luck started to go bad last time I tried a playthrough of this version, the first thing that came to mind was the mad scientist's lair on the moon from the MST3k revival from a couple years back. With that in mind, I had my title.


Since this is also a good place to take a rest for awhile, that's what I'm going to do, and hopefully, get on with the other two Final Fantasy games I'm doing as well. Until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA. See you soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment