Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Fanboy's One Question: Mystery Science Theater

Every now and then, I'll get to thinking about some of the things I'm a fan of and find myself wondering “If I could ask the people behind this one question, what would it be?” To be honest, at present, there are only two groups that get me to thinking this way. One of those groups is the one behind the quasi-official Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars Web series, but since there's half a chance I'll actually get a chance to ask them any questions I may have when the series concludes later on this year, I'll hold off on such things until I either have a chance or get to see if and/or where any answers might be found.


The other group I've got an interesting question or two for would be the good folks of Best Brains, Inc., who created the cult classic television show Mystery Science Theater 3000, or MST3K for short. Like many shows that have run for as long as MST3K, there were quite a few cast and crew changes over the show's eleven-year history, and with that came questions about the comings and goings thereof. I'm sure that I could easily find many of those answers if I'd just stop being lazy and looked for them. But there is one that even if I could find, I'd like to have answered by those directly involved.

My question is directed mostly at those involved with the tenth and final nationally-syndicated season, and is a three-parter. The one thing I'm wondering is: if Sci-Fi had continued the show after season ten, would they have done it, why, and if yes, for how long?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are sources that have those answers out there. I'm just not entirely sure what they might be or where to look. The related sites I know of don't give many good leads, from what I've seen.

An alternate question that comes to mind, and gets more of the former alums involved relates to the fact that many of those who left the show prior to its cancellation have since returned to other acts very similar to MST3K, in the form of Riff Trax, Cinematic Titanic, and/or the Film Crew group, along with their fellow Best Brainers who had been there at the end. To them all, I would ask what made them regroup for their various projects after having seemingly given up this very sort of act when their time with MST3K ended. I believe I've seen these answers around, but for the life of me, I can't remember where or when, so seeing them again would be a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment