Monday, November 22, 2010

So, Video, Huh?

I got myself a new webcam recently and tested it out over Skype during a recent ZipperFish Live After Hours. There was a good deal if interest in my doing video work in addition to everything else I do. While that was kinda the point of my getting the cam, I must admit, I've really got no idea what I'm doing when it comes to video. Just check out my previous attempts on YouTube. Granted, those were done with a different camera and on different computers than what I'm using now, but I'm sure I was still doing something wrong.

So, what I'm looking for here is pointers, hints, and tutorials so that I can maybe do a better job of whatever video work I do. Anything would help.

One of the things that was suggested during that initial ZFL appearance was that I do a live program. I know there are several options out there that I could use, but I'm not entirely sure which one I actually should. I know a lot of people use uStream, but I've also seen people use LiveStream and JustinTV, and I know there are at least a few others, as well. I'd like to use uStream simply because if I do recorded shows, I'd like to have more than one or two at a time, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to use, which is the kind of advice I'm looking for.

Also, I've got a few characters I could and very likely will play. I know that's a popular and perhaps necessary thing, as so many others do it. Something I'm not sure of is if I should establish a baseline “normal me” persona before I start in with other characters.

Probably the biggest question, however, is of how I should go about recording anything I'm not intending on doing live. See, my new webcam didn't come with any such software of its own that I'm aware of because it's the lowest-priced one I could find, and the other video software I have at present doesn't seem to offer the option for recording. Suggestions there would be a real help.

As I've said before, any hints and pointers will be much appreciated. There will always be more to come, but that's for another time. Thanks in advance for the hints and pointers.

No comments:

Post a Comment