Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thinking Of Monetizing

I'm thinking of monetizing this blog after the first of the year so that I can have a little extra income. I'm not entirely sure if I actually will or not at this point. While any extra income would certainly be helpful, at present, there's no absolute need for it.

One big factor in my mulling this over for the next month or so is that one of the places I'd like this blog and my uStream channel to lead me is to a gig with a site like That Guy With The Glasses. Truth be told, it's the kind of thing I went to college for right out of high school. Even though I did mess up getting the actual journalism degree, I would still like to be doing something kind of like that with my life.

Thing is, though, I'm not entirely sure that having ads in my blog will be the best course of action to get me to that goal. I mean, sure, I see that quite a few of the people I follow from That Guy have their own sites, which, naturally, have ads on them to help pay for server space, bandwidth, and whatnot. And I'm sure being able to provide someone with solid numbers about viewers and ad revenue will be a big help in reaching my goal.

The biggest thing holding me back is that I'm working a day job that I've been at for a really long time, and I'm scared of what will happen if I have to tell them that I'm also getting money from writing a blog. This is mostly because I can't really afford to lose any of my hours there at present. As I said before, I'm doing pretty good there, all things considered, and would like to be doing better, I'll sorta be screwed if I wind up getting my hours cut or losing the job altogether.

There's also the fact that I'm sadly uninformed about what I will and won't be able to do as compared to what I can and can't do now. To make matters worse, I'm not particularly well informed about those matters now, either, which is something I should probably remedy at my earliest convenience.

I'll probably also talk a little bit about this when I do my uStream show on Monday night, as any live help there would be as much appreciated as comments would here. I'd always appreciate comments, of course. I like it when when people admit to reading, looking at, and watching my work.

But anyway, that's one of the big things on my mind right now. Any and all help would be appreciated.

So, until next time, happy Thanksgiving! See you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment