Friday, May 20, 2011

It's THE END OF THE WORLD! OH NO!!!

Seriously?  Again?  What is this, the ten-thousanth time or something?

This whole "End Of The World" thing is something I've grown entirely too weary of in recent years.  Before this whole Mayan Calendar thing came out, there's only one I can really remember much about.  That one is Y2K, but that's mostly because I'm something of a computer nerd.

Since then, there have been a few others, and for the most part, it seems like the doomsday nuts are just pulling the dates out of their asses.  Chances are, nothing will happen with any of them.  After all, there was actually something like reason to be concerned about Y2K, because the computers the world ran on even then were supposed to screw up and stop working right.  Fortunately, we managed to get that taken care of in time, for the most part.

The big one right now is the Mayan Calendar thing I mentioned before.  The way this one goes is that the world is supposed to end on December 21, 2012, which is supposedly the last date on the Mayan Calendar.  Those who believe in this one think the world will end as a result because the Mayans were relatively advanced for an American culture at the time.  Of course, when I say "at the time", I mean six hundred years ago, roughly, sometime before the Spanish and Portuguese came to South America and started messing it up the way the rest of Europe was messing with North America.

The thing to remember is that the Mayans were carving in stone when they made their big main calendars, so they were smart to calculate out as far as they could.  Personally, I think it's truly remarkable that they could be as accurate as they were when projecting over the better part of a millennium.

More recently, there's been news of some guy who says that Saturday, May 21, 2011, is the day the world will end.  I'm prone to call that bullshit.  There's really no good reason to say the world's going to end tomorrow.  Nothing particularly unusual to note.

Now, if it turns out he's right and the world does end tomorrow, well, all I can say to that is good fucking riddance to bad rubbish.  The world as we know it needs to go anyway.  Much as I'd rather have it change slowly over time, quickly is good, too.  Might help weed out a little more of the scum that way.

But really, this whole end of the world thing is pretty much crap.  If it comes, tough shit for us, I guess, but if not that's fine, too.  Either way, I've got things to do and would rather not be distracted with needless things like when, exactly, Armageddon is going to come.

All I need to know is that it'll get here in it's own time, and that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment