Wednesday, November 14, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #41: o/~ Let's Get Physical... o/~


I had intended to get a little farther along with the Jumi storyline here, but as has happened so often in the course of this Text Play, I bumbled into an entirely unrelated quest instead. In this case, it was a quest called “Rachel”, after the daughter of the shopkeepers in Domina. I'd gone there looking for clues as to where I was supposed to go after the last part of the Jumi arc. What I found was that Mark, Jennifer and Rachel are all completely and utterly batshit insane.

So, the setup here is that Rachel finally got all fed up with her old man and went off to Geo to learn magic so she could do something about the loonie. While there, we've gotta get into the library while Nunuzac is teaching his class so that the mummy lady there can have her students open an inter-dimensional portal or some such thing. In doing so, this makes the Rachel we've seen running around Domina thus far in the game swap bodies and lives with some other Rachel. And this is where things start to get confusing, because we don't find out about this until we get back to the shop in Domina.

When we get there, there's a scene where we see Mark and Rachel in her room, and things are... creepier than they should be in that situation really. They talk about how maybe Rachel wanted to do magic or upgrade Teapo to a Model Two or some such thing. And then I had to leave town so I could go right back in and find Jennifer in the town's marketplace. She tells us something about how Mark's been having dreams lately about a blue jiggly thing that calls itself Rachel and it worries her.

What worries me is the fact that that last line is the last sane thing anyone's going to say until the end of this quest. Back at the shop, there's a scene in the attic about how Rachel is Rachel and yet somehow not and there was some sort of body swap that happened in Geo. As if that weren't confusing enough, we start to lump in some bull about blue jigglies and green wigglies that just blew past me like stink. And then there's the part where Teapo the Magic Teapot is full of explosives because she's a bomb or the engine for a rocketship and either way, Domina's shop is at risk of getting blown all to hell as a result.

Confused yet? Don't worry, the punchline here is that the person we thought was Rachel is some sort of spirit that's on a cosmic soul quest while the little girl that's in Mark and Jennifer's house wants to be called Rachel now. And Jennifer's just as confused by all this as I am, chalking it all up to Mark carrying on about being a wanna-be Zephram Cochrane or something when one of the Rachel entities was younger. And with that, the quest ends.

When the hell did I get to SilentHill? (Wiki Article Here)

At any rate, maybe I'll figure it out as I get this whole Jumi thing sorted. I really gotta get Elazul out of my bedroom. It's creepy and I'd really like to get that save point back.

No comments:

Post a Comment