Wednesday, November 28, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #43: Campanile Climb

I did that a couple times when I was in college. Now I'm hungry for some Nick Burgers...

To get this thing started, we've got to talk to Elazul. He won't say or do anything, and I'm not sure how many times we've actually gotta try it. But eventually, when we leave the room and come back, he'll be gone. That's our cue to go to the Tower of Leires again.

Going back up there a second time reminds me of climbing the Campanile at South Dakota State University, where I went to college. I remember doing it at least once, the first year I was there, with my roommate that year, and I'd at least intended to go again, even if I was in crap shape for it. And just like climbing the real thing, it's not that climbing Leires wasn't enjoyable. It's just that it was tedious as hell is all. It was exactly the same as the last time, save for the fact that Elazul could actually fight, whereas Pearl could not.

And of course, when we get to the top this time, there's a cutscene between Pearl and Blackpearl, essentially reenacting that “I Am Your Father” scene from Empire Strikes Back. The gist, in this case, is that Pearl's going to have to be the savior of her people, but Elazul won't have her die to do it like some cultural legend says she's got to. And of course, there's going to be a boss fight to end the quest with.

This fight with Blackpearl isn't an especially hard one, really, or even all that long of a fight. It's just that this was one of those ones that makes me think I'm losing my skills here. As I said, this wasn't a long fight, but it took longer than it should have because I just couldn't connect with anything. Oh well, it's over now, and there's only a couple chapters left of this Jumi thing to go. I'll decide how much more of this game I want to play from there.

Like I said a couple times before, it's not so much that I'm not liking the game. I am. It's just that I'm getting bored with it, I think, and since I've got the option of actually finishing it now, I might do that instead of just walking away from it. I haven't really decided just what I'm going to do yet.

And I'm getting near the end of Final Fantasy as well. If I can't actually beat it with my primary party, I should be able to with my all-monk team. Looks like what I read there is proving true. I just hope I've got my levels high enough and enough of the right supplies for that.

At any rate, no matter what I do next, I'll see you all soon. Keep gaming, stay safe, have fun, and DFTBA, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment