Thursday, November 1, 2012

TEXT PLAY: Legend of Mana (PlayStation; 2000): Issue #40: Star Stuff

And not the kind that Carl Sagan can help with, either.

I know I said I was going to do some Final Fantasy before I did more LOM, but things came out a little differently than planned. Part of the reason is that I found a copy of the first Sly Cooper game for five bucks at the local used-game store. But more on that later. And before, too, but that's also for another time.

What this is about is a quick quest in the LOM's Jumi arc. In this case, I made the mistake of talking to Elazul when I found him wandering around outside the house. It wasn't a mistake because he's still the asshole I'm making him out to be. Now that I'm actually seeing the story context, he's really not that bad. He asked if I'd seen Pearl around. I said no, so he whipped out this note from Sandra that pretty much said that Pearl had been kidnapped. Too bad it left out where, exactly, the two had gone.

Fortunately, though, the note itself was that clue. A quick trip to the world map made the note go fluttering around, with the place it landed being where Pearl and Sandra are. I had honestly expected it to land at Geo again, but in this case, it just went down at the Mekiv Caverns. I put that just south of my house area, so it was really early in the game.

In this case, we've got a cutscene where Elazul tells us he's got a bad feeling and can't quite get a fix on Pearl. There's a stogie-smoking General Duck who tells us that the people we're looking for went on the path to the upper right. That takes us to a Sproutling who gives us some more directions that lead to some hunchbacked dude who's name I didn't get tells us it's straight on to the ladies we seek.

There's a cutscene where Sandra's trying to get Pearl to shed a couple tears because they have healing or life-giving properties or something, and spill a few other secrets about the Jumi. When Elazul and I get there, Elazul does his heroic act and Sandra scratches the life-giving gem core he's wearing.

Pearl gets pissy enough to get her shit together and turns into a knight called Lady Blackpearl. Blackpearl's a decent fighter and managed to do most of the damage in the boss fight with the Jewel Beast that Sandra sicks on us.

After the fight, Blackpearl tells Elazul that she can handle herself now and is also sorry for all the trouble she's caused him before heading off to who only knows while it's back home for me and Elazul. He wound up in the bedroom, so the save point there is out of commission for the time being. After talking to Lil Cactus, I went off to Domina to save the game.

This time, I'm pretty sure I mean it when I say I'm going to do a little Final Fantasy before coming back to LOM. See you soon, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment