Thursday, November 8, 2012

TEXT PLAY SIDE GAME: Final Fantasy (NES 1990/PS 2003 [Origins]): Issue #19: NASA Approved?

This is a rather long dungeon, but we are getting close to the end of the game, too.

All that prep work we did last time does lead to something. The Tower of Mirage and the Sky Castle.  The Tower of Mirage is pretty much your standard tower climbing thing. I'm sure we needed the Bell from Leffen to get in, though we weren't made to use it. There's a ton and a half of treasure to be had in there, including a good deal of the final and near-final weapons and armor of the game for most of the characters. There are also a few of the robots left over from the time of the Sky People who tell you you need the Warp Cube and where to find it if you don't have it already.

After three or four floors of climbing the tower, there's a mirrored pad on the floor that beams the party into the Sky Castle. Given that it's a techno-castle sort of thing that's quite literally in the sky, we can take that it's meant to be a space station built by the ancient people who lived on the northern lands of this game. There's a window that shows the energies of the Crystals flowing into the Temple of Fiends, so that's where we've gotta go next. There's a lot of really cool weapons and armor here, too. Worth taking the time to pick it up, even if you've already got at least one other set already.

There's also the Adamant Ore here, too, if memory serves. I'm pretty sure I missed getting it this time around because, as usual, it was late when I was playing and I know I missed a lot of stuff. I'll be coming back through to get some of the stuff I missed, because I want to at least get the Excalibur. I'm not sure it's required, necessarily, but I'd rather not find out the hard way. I'm just not sure how much I'd enjoy fighting upgraded versions of previous monsters again.

And then, there's the entire reason we're here: to fight Tiamat and relight the Crystal of Air. From the sounds of the music in this fight, you'd think Tiamat would be really hard, but he's not so much in this case. I think that's in part to this being easy mode. The cool thing here is that I've got my levels up into the mid 30s now, and my Monk, especially, moves really fast. Like 8 hits per turn fast. And I put haste on him and the Knight, so the last round of the battle they got a whopping 26 hits between them. And when Tiamat goes down, all four of the Crystals are relit, which means it's time to finish the game.

But before we get to that, I'm going to go do one last runthrough of the places I didn't clean out before. It's not exactly because I feel some need to have 100% completion or anything. I just want to see what I missed. Most of the special weapons are pretty much useless by now anyway. And like I said, I want to have the Excalibur, just because, if nothing else.

That's going to have to wait until next time though, when I go for an Item Get entry. See you then, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment