Wednesday, February 25, 2015

TEXT PLAY: Final Fantasy VI (Super Nintendo, Square, 1994): Issue #048: o/~ Calling Odin... o/~


It sure doesn't seem that way, but the Ancient Castle has been buried since the last Esper War, the War of the Magi, which was 1000 years ago. There are plenty of monsters there, of course, because why not, I suppose. At least they're all pretty good for giving MP at the end of battles.

The main feature here, of course, is the Odin Magicite. Turns out Odin was an Esper on the side of the humans in the last war, and specifically this one kingdom in particular. My looking around revealed the queen's diary in the castle library, in which was a passage about how she was getting all hot and bothered for Odin and was going to tell him when the war was over even though it was against social custom for that to happen. Unfortunately, the kingdom was defeated by its enemy when a powerful wizard kicked Odin's ass in the throne room. I'm not exactly well versed in Norse mythology, but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual story goes something like that, too.

Now, when I found Odin frozen in the throne room, I was expecting a fight with him, because that's how it was in Final Fantasy 4, but that wasn't the case. I'm not complaining, though. Given my luck with video games, and a lot of things, really, lately, that probably wouldn't have gone well. I am, however, kind of disappointed that he just collapsed into Magicite when I talked to him instead of at least giving me a little dialog.

I was fortunate enough to find something of a boss-level fight in the castle, though. It wasn't the one I was hoping for, which was also kind of disappointing, but it was something like a boss fight none the less. There's a monster-in-a-box called KatanaSoul. I had Locke in the party when I fought this guy and stole a Murasame blade from it. I think I may have already gotten something better for Cyan, but it's worth a look. If I'm reading Caves of Narshe right, it says KatanaSoul's supposed to be strong against Instant Death attacks, but I think I had somebody equipped with a weapon that did one, and it worked. I was so concentrated on having an actual fight with this monster that I didn't see how that really went down to be sure.

And I've got Caves of Narshe up right now so I can not only see what it was I stole from KatanaSoul, but also how to find the Blue Dragon. I get a feeling that a lot of people missed this one, because it's a real pain in the ass to find. It took me a few attempts to find where I was even supposed to go to get into the Ancient Castle, and then there's a puzzle to find where the dragon is now that I've got everything else. Actually doing that will be a story for next time, though. Good thing there's a save point right outside the castle.

Anyway, until next time, stay safe, have fun, keep gaming, and DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment